Downloads. What other options do I have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you been hanging out too long in the smoking weed on a live-a-board thread?

Woaaaaaah there buddy....Got a snack for you....every'ting gonna be alright.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 97
A few sd cards + iPad (w/ sd card reader) = no need to travel with a laptop :D

And luckily iPads (as all Apple products) are inexpensive, too. :wink: I have an Acer Aspire mini laptop with me and have found it useful. It comes with an SD card reader and weighs around 1 kg with the battery.

I'm warming to the idea of the mini-laptop or netbook - they have the benefits of real computers and at half the price of the iPad! But if all you need is extra storage, you can still save half that price with the small stand-alone hard drive, or just extra memory cards (for a short trip).

My wife is interested in getting an iPad (or equivalent). She cites having apps to play with, and iBooks as the advantages over netbooks.

Thus far I'm really enjoying my netbook. It's like my two laptops hooked up after having one too many 0010110100101100's and made a baby.

I ended up having two spare SATA hard drives (160 & 230GB). I bought a couple of $10 housings and converted them into external drives. I will use one to backup my laptop, and the other to store photos when on vacation.

So far I haven't seen the big attraction with the iPad. No keyboard, no storage, no network card of either kind, no USB ports, vulnerable screen, big and heavy as a netbook - it's not a real computer, just costs more than one. All the 'benefits' of accessing the web via wireless provider, without the phone... Apps just seem to be a business strategy to restrict access to the freeware widely available via the Windows/Linux devices.

What netbook did you get? Are you happy with the performance?

What netbook did you get? Are you happy with the performance?
As far as performance, they are all pretty much the same as they are built around the same small group of processors. I have an older Lenovo S10 with a 1.6Ghz Atom and it has no difficulty running Lightroom at an acceptable level. (Single photo work is fine, don't try batch processing) Running Window 7 premium 32bit with no issues. Easily fast enough to playback videos and do minor photo editing and viewing.

Selecting which brand to go with is something you would be better off to do your own research on. Samsung and Asus tend to have the best reliability ratings but the whole industry is in constant ebb and flow in this area as they constantly adjust quality to meet price points.

One strong upgrade recommendation would include upping the memory to 2GB. Dumping the hard drive in favor of an SSD will also provide a noticeable improvement in speed and battery life.

Originally I was looking at the Asus and Samsung netbooks, but found some great deals on factory refurbished Acer Aspire 1 D255's.

Highlights:

1.5GHz Atom N550, Windows 7 starter, 250Gb HD, 10.1" LED screen, webcam, 802.11b/n/g, 2-in-one card reader, and 6-cell battery.

Came with 1Gb of DDR3 RAM, which I promptly upgraded to 2Gb.

I'm really impressed by the little guy. She's not quite as fast surfing as my laptop, but plenty fast enough. I don't think I will be putting Photoshop Elements on it as the screen is really too small to make any worthwhile photo edits.

Back
Top Bottom