Dr Deco (and Scubaboard) on Techdiver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

Amen!

If you want I can post it to tech diver list but i'll get bashed to no end for it (wouldn't be the first time I did something like that :wink: Also not the first time that I would be asking for some hardcore proof of facts about things.

The way the disown the dead truely amazes me to no end.

Ed

Mr Cohn,

What was the purpose of your post? Just trying to stir up the natives a little. That exchange was really quite mild by techdiver standards.

Rainreg and others ...
who've taken this opportunity to bash DIR because of the way GI conducts on the net, I strive to dive in accordance with DIR practices and protocols because I believe that DIR gives me the best chance of returning for ANY dive alive, unbent and uninjured. Now, when all the name calling quiets down a bit, if someone around here can explain to me why diving DIR would reduce my chances of see my daughter graduate college or propose an equally comprehensive and holistic dive philosophy, I am all ears. Till then I just go back to reading reading the more useful threads on this forum and reading my Quest list.

Sam

Hello, I am thankful to hear a calmer approach to participating in this thread. I am not and do not make a habit of bashing anyone, There is nothing that I have stated in My posts that are not fact or supported by fact, (I.e. the actions and statements of others can quantify a label), also I have only challenged and requested on more than one occasion that the DIR bunch show some proof (Reports or official testing of some sort to Validate the ideals they so strongly tout. No bashing just a very simple request that 100 % of the time has been answered with Twisted facts, lies, and insults. This is not professional behavior and I would have to question the validity of their procedure because they do not work for everyone, As I know there have been some incidents in the past and instead of Investigating them they (GUE / DIR bunch) have dis-associated themselves with the incident and the individual, Black listing them and even worse. If you want the facts than ask away otherwise except the inevitable. Thank you for your time and look forward to your reply.

Michael Rainone
U.S. Navy Saturation Diver

Mr. Svs3,
  1. It's Dr. Cohn (Ph.D).
  2. I've already stated my reasons for starting the thread, If you had actually read the thread, you would have seen them.
  3. What precisely was the purpose of your post? You've provided no useful information, except to point out the thread was mild by Techdiver standards. I'm assuming you think that Dr. Deco and Scubaboard should be grateful. It seems you're just in the mood to start an argument.

You seem to feel free to begin or continue arguments, GI3 and the Techdiver crowd can slander anyone they like, as viciously as they like, but I should keep my mouth shut? Was that your point?
  4. Since you've provided no information about the type of diving you do, it's hard to comment on what would make it safer. Of course, Rule Number 2 is don't listen to strokes, so commenting would be pointless anyway. Which brings up the question, why are you reading Scubaboard in the first place?

Ralph

OK......WHERE TO START?

svs3.....nice of you to join in the chat. I also have had the same point of view on DR.Cohn's post....however, I am now worshiping the ground he walks on, as I am pleased he has brought this to the groups attention.

Secondly, if you are such a hard core tech diver...what use do you find of such a page as ScubaBoard?

Thirdly, also, why are you so interested in reading the threads of ScubaBoard, if your so willing to support the thoughts and comments made in the threads on TechChat in the links at the beginning of this thread, as they are clearly being dismissive of the comments made by any member of scubaboard (which believe it or not also includes you) and our in-board doctor, the wonderful, Dr Deco? Surely if you believe these comments to be true, then you wouldnt be interested in what anyone of us.....recreational divers have to say?

I am sure due to my posts on this thread people will see me as the brit b*tch, however, it annoys me when people who are quite happy using such a great service are prepared to back people who dismiss all the hard efforts of those who keep this running to help YOU! To be honest, with such ungrateful.....people, i'm shocked they continue..(please note that wasnt directed at all).

Anyway, a last final thought (if you bothered to read this far down) i thought this board was about scuba diving???

Hello,

I have ask them several times for some detailed info and have yet to receive anything but abuse. I ask for the source of the bad mouthings about the inspiration and stats for one.

Seems like the bad mouthing from that sector is to make up for the lack of detailed informative information. When talking to some of them about BC's I get things like "just because" and "it's what everyone's using" and "I don't want to be harassed for not using it" and "give it a lengthy period of time and you'll adjust nicely, just over look all that discomfort"

I even pointed out that scuba gear is just another tool to reach a desired goal and you don't use a hammer for all task, nor does a hammer work in all situations. Was some serious hostility on that one. It's like "use this brand X or else" even tho you can produce brand Y, have the same or better technology and even cheaper price, not to mention that brand Y may work alittle better in a particular case.

This is coming from a group who allows people like GI3 to be dictator and a poor figurehead. Although he may have some good experience and sound methods for his type of diving, that is not on question here. What is to be questioned, in my opinion, is why are these divers allowing themselves to be governed by someone who has a superiority complex and talks down to everyone? Where is the equality??

I know for me, as a somewhat new diver, went to the list looking for 'the truth' and boy did I get a rude awaking. Only later did I post the highly anti-GUE/DIR post that i'm famous for :wink: As for the disowning of the dead lets assume that GI3 died tomorrow while diving. Will he be disowned by the rest?

Upon questioning many of the followers as to methodology (equipment configuration) I get answers like "it makes sence" (like some enlightened person) and this seems to be a big echo. What comes to mind here is a psychological concept called group think.

Ed

You know what's funny... some God's aren't God's at all, but quite the opposite. Spelling it backwards alone spells DOG. :D In which case I've heard through the gravevine, the certain screw-ups of certain self proclaimed God's. Hehe The stories are colorful with tales of excessive chamber rides and near death experiences... Things like that can really loosen some vital screws if ya know what I mean!

Never fear the barking Dog my friend... it's the quite one that looks on calmly that should be feared!

Scubababy,

Who am I? I am diver who realizes the dangers of scuba diving and the importance of knowledge and education in keeping diving safe. To that end, I will go where I need to get the information I need and want and do so without apology. If that offends you in some way - oh well.

Dr. Cohn,

Actually, rule number 2 is: Don't heed the advice of strokes.

Ed,

If you want "bad mouthings about the inspiration" rebeather, you can start right here with Scubaboard's own King Neptune and the "Stupid need not apply" thread (at least that what I think it is called) but your probably too busy removing your "scuba unit" to unbolt your pony bottle.

Rainreg, et all,

I can't provide the data you want (and I take by your request that you can't either or will hopefully do so in response to this post). What I can and will do is quickly explain how I arrived at the conclusions I have about DIR.

When I got back into diving after being out of it for couple years I realized very quickly that my technique and knowledge were wanting so I looked around to see who was doing the type of diving I aspired to in the most safe and efficient manner and was willing to teach me. On an rec agency level the answer was NAUI and the YMCA and GUE on a tech level. On a philosophical level, as well as gear configuration and operational level, the answer was and is DIR. Hey, who knows maybe I am wrong, maybe what I really need is an SSI solo diving cert so I can be an official card carrying stroke.

Also, to what specific incidents are you referring to in your above posts?

Mario,

Please enlighten us all as to some of George's better laspes of judgement and poor decisions?

Again:

Will someone explain to how diving DIR with any dive profile increases my chances of dieing, being injured, or getting bent?

Will somebody introduce me to an equally comprehensive dive philosophy?

Looking forward to your replies,
Sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom