Dr Deco (and Scubaboard) on Techdiver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well Ralph, I think we have finally exhausted this one. I've presented my arguements, as did you and others. People can decide for themselves who was the more persuasive, if anybody was at all. I will continue to advocate my views and opinions and share the experiences I have had. I believe my experiences have enlightened, and will continue to enlighten, new divers as well as more the experienced. I welcome the challange by people such as yourself as long as it remains civil (which was border-line here).

I'm sure we'll talk again, but it will be on another thread as I'm moving on.

Take care.

Mike

here ya go scubakat,
I cut out the addresses.

Date: Fri Feb 2, 2001 12:28 pm
Subject: RE: [Cetaceans] Halcyon Inflator Hose Length

Actually, a couple fellows here bought my plates, and a large one, and were going to take Andrew G's recreational DIR class, and it was made very clear that the large plate was unsuitable for some reason I have yet to understand.

I have my idea's, but I will wait for one of the GUE-ru's to explain.

Scott

*-----Original Message-----
*Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 10:57 AM
*To: Cetaceans@yahoogroups.com
*Subject: Re: [Cetaceans] Halcyon Inflator Hose Length
*In a message dated 2/1/01 10:29:54 PM Pacific Standard Time,
*beshers@c... writes:
*<< This is why I'm interested in trying one of Scott's
* one-size-does-not-fit-all backplates. The only downside I can see to
* this is that I can't arbitrarily switch plates with everyone in the
* WKPP. Anyone see any downsides?
* >>
*I have one of Scott's Large plate and the only down side is that it fits.
*Now if that is a down side I will take it. Far more comfortable than my
*halcyon plate was
*Dinky

Date: Sat Feb 10, 2001 2:38 am
Subject: RE: [Cetaceans] GUE "official" backplates?

I have no idea why they are "non conformal".
I am also waiting for a logical answer.
None seems to be forthcoming.

Scott

*-----Original Message-----
*Sent: Friday, February 09, 2001 10:14 PM
*To: Cetaceans@yahoogroups.com
*Subject: [Cetaceans] GUE "official" backplates?
*Scott,
*I'm curious, a week or two ago you made reference that your backplates were
*being touted as "non conforming" to GUE.
*Any further information on that statement? Inquiring minds want to know...
*Wade

oh yeah..

I DON'T ask retail clerks about DIR gear.
And I do get some stuff from 5th D

omar

Hello,

I believe it was bill gavin who stated there was no one single correct method for gear configuration and the day we said there was one correct method was the day evolution stops.

Ed

Thanks for the reference Omar.
This weekend I am diving with a fellow who just finished Andrew G's Rec. DIR class. I am very curios to talk with him. I've thought about taking the class because I want to work on trim, bouyancy, streamlining, control, & rule six. But I won't invest in a BP/W setup just to take the class.

-kate

Kate,

That's an interesting comment you made about the intro to DIR class and your BC. I made the "mistake" on a DIR mail list I am member of out here in New England of suggesting that it would actually make sense for folks to try the DIR intro course with "non-DIR" gear.....if a DIR instructor is so intent on proving to us that the DIR gear configuration is the best, what better way to show this than to have a "stroke" like me show up with my jacket BC......

The replies I received basically said no way -- you have to have a backplate/wings before enrolling....perhaps this differs from instructor to instructor.

Kate,
I know your neighborhood, you have a lot of LDS's, maybe 20. If you look closer at 5th D, you'll notice Dive Rite SPG's and Lites. ( No TransPac II ) and I think you'll find the same for OMS. Two modes of retail, DIR and "just sell you something".
In the spring Andrew started to take a beating on the DIR mandatory equiptment requirements, and did some back peddeling. He need's to pay the bills and sell stuff. Bad PR in a very competitive comunity is not good for business.

don O

Hello,

You don't know rule #6? You must have been asleep durring your GUE class.

Ed

Ok its time to take a deep breath and let our minds work this board, not Testosterone... can't we all just get along??? we are making progress in comunicating lets keep it in that direction. thanks for you participation in the board and lets move on to another thread..

Mike Rainone
Sat rat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom