Dr Deco (and Scubaboard) on Techdiver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike,

300 and 500 depths. Anything more would just be academic. As it is 500 is most likely something that I will never see (on purpose).
Trimix and heliox. With the use of high O2 for deco gas (if this is part of the protocol?)

omar

Hello Omar, I just want to add final clarification on your request before I start pulling tech reports and papers. There are alot of these that pertain to your subject.

1. Ok on the 300 and 500-foot protocols do you want: UK, Canadian, U.S., French, or Italian??

2. Your request for Trimix (What is your breakdown on gas %)

__% +___% + ___% = end mix?

3. Your request for HE02 (What is your breakdown on gas %)

___%o2 + ___%He = end mix?

I ask the above questions so I can narrow down the number of reports, and info papers for you.

I will need a few days to get the final info out to you, and rest assured I will be getting back to you. I participate in this board to provide information so People like yourself can read it and have all the answers you need to make conscious decisions on how or what they want to dive.

Thank you for your request I will be looking forward to your reply.

Mike Rainone
Sat Rat

Mike,

I recognize the fact that claims that only Halcyon/EE gear is DIR is ridiculous. It reaches the sublime when a Dive Rite or Abyss or locally made back plate is not DIR. I have been told that this was the response of the guys at 5th Dimension (Seattle) to a Scott Koplin made BP. I have seen Scott's BP's and in my opinion they are actually better. (slight oblong holes for the bolt spacing that allow for the difference (minor) in different tank setups).

In my opinion the AL72 is a better deco tank than the Al80 as well. It is lighter and smaller in diameter. This makes for less drag and work effort. The benefit of 5.5 ft^3 more gas does not justify the extra weight and size. But I digress.

I have always wondered if he has an interest in Halcyon and I do not know if he does or not. I would caution you that you will be served by his attack lawyer if you make comments that you can not backup.

And BTW thanks

omar

I freely admit that I am new to diving.

That being said I have looked over this post several times and have noticed that very few people argue that the standard and accomplishments of DIR are respectable. The agrument seems to revolve around GI3 and his delivery of DIR ideas.

It seems to me if we leave this out of the discussion and focus on the theories that DIR supports and how they are or are not of interest or importance to recreational diving we all may learn from each other and all might become better divers.

Like I said I am new to diving and do not have enough experience to either support or discredit DIR. But I look to this board and others to expand my knowledge and I feel this approach would be more helpful to all the divers out there. (IMHO)

Could someone help me off this darn soapbox

Chad

By the way it appears that rainreg and omar have got this ball rolling by sharing info in a friendly manner.

Thanks for all the info you guys (on both sides of the issue) are putting out there.

Chad

Hello,

ckharlan66, the problem is GI *IS* the spokeperson for dir, if you want the good stuff (by this I mean the good things that you can get from dir) you have to wade thru all of GI's BS stuff. Durring this wading process alot of people fall sheep to the group thing that goes on over there.

Ed

I, and I feel most others, should be able to wade through this a then discuss it while leaving the inflamitory(sp) retoric out. I agree that from the post (that is the only exposure I have to GI3) his attitude is less than charming. however I think it rash to judge all DIRers by his attitude.

Again, I do not have the experence to support or discredit DIR's theories. But I am willing to listen to them and any opposing views if they are presented in a manner that is civil in the interest of education. As I said before this could be better accomplished if we simply don't include GI3's good or bad quailities in the discussion. That could be left to each individuals own views.

Chad

Ok, Ralph we can keep this going, but nothing will get accomlished.

Here goes nuttin':

1. This must be the fourth time. I have done what you've said and have been treated with respect.

2. Have the divers you know with 30 years experience done 16,000'+ cave penetrations? That's all I meant. At this point, I could really care less. By the way, I challange you to find an occurance where I used the term "stroke" in a durrogatory way.

3. Again, I have questioned it and, for the most part, agree with them (especially as it pertains to their type of diving). I welcome alternative views, as varying view points make for good conversations and learning. It's the insults on both sides of the issues that I don't care for.

4. "You and the other DIR guys are very brave challenging us here" I'll take that as a compliment. Thank you. I've already addressed GI's personnality -- I don't agree with his presentation, but I ain't his mama.

5. What page is it on? I'll discuss it with you.

6. I haven't conceded anything. Do you own homework.

7. My statement explains itself.

8. No concession here at all. You and I and anyone else is free to do as they choose for any reason they choose.

9. Well considering the tone you have taken, I think my skin has held up quite well, thank you very much. I made it clear that the statements I made were not intended to be insulting. If I've insulted anyone (even you Ralph), I apologize. I don't believe I have attacked anyone here. I came on to present a differing opinion of DIR and George Irvine to the rest of the group, and I've done so in a civil tone. I have never defended the tone of arguement that occurs on Tech Diver.

You do realize, Ralph, that this is all just a bunch of bull**** going on here. In fact, I find it quite amusing how people (regardless of their views) allow themselves get to the point of out right insults. We can go back and forth forever, and accomplish nothing, or agree to disagree. I prefer the latter.

Take care.

Mike

Hello,

Here's the real problem. New diver A goes thru their archives looking for something specific, they read alot of stuff. They don't have the training/skill/experience to make a judgment call on right/wrong or good/bad. They go out and try it and turn up dead or injured. The DIR crowd disowns any responsibility of this event.

Now say your find your information your looking for and in the process get wraped up in the group think because you don't know any better (remember you don't have the training/skill/experience to know any better).

Ed

ckharlan66,

That's all there is to it. Just sift through the rhetoric and use common sense. It doesn't matter which side of the fence you come down on, so long as you understand what's being said.

Mike

Ed, people have to be responsible for themselves and use common sense.

Back
Top Bottom