DR wing and single tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bismark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just set up a new DR BP/W for a single tank and I am wondering if you are supposed to use nut/bolts or bookscrews to hold the wing to the plate. The cylinder straps go through both the wing and the plate but when I have the bolts through the wing and plate, the tank seems to be able to pivot on the two highest points.. the bolt heads. These are the DR "sexbolts" with a pretty low profile. I know the BPW probably doesn't need them to hold the tank in place, but it keeps the wing attached to the plate when the tank isn't on. Any thoughts?

I was looking at the Dive Rite setup a while back and asked for other people's opinions. Supposedly the Venture Wing can be used without a STA, however most diver's using the setup recommended using one. They mentioned without the STA the tank feels sloppy and unstable. I think this is the problem you are describing. I have a Halcyon with a STA and it attaches with wing nuts. The tank is rock solid, no movement at all.

Do you think a DSS STA (weighted) would screw onto the DR setup. Tobin, you out there?:)

Bismark:
Do you think a DSS STA (weighted) would screw onto the DR setup. Tobin, you out there?:)

STA's use the same standard spacing as doubles. So yes it should fit. Tobin's system does not use a STA, that is one of its selling points. I am sure TDI or Scuba toys can help. You may want to check out Hammerhead Scuba at http://www.hammerheadbackplates.com/sta.htm. They sell a weighted STA, although it is a better deal when you order both the backplate and STA.

ams511:
I was looking at the Dive Rite setup a while back and asked for other people's opinions. Supposedly the Venture Wing can be used without a STA, however most diver's using the setup recommended using one. They mentioned without the STA the tank feels sloppy and unstable. I think this is the problem you are describing. I have a Halcyon with a STA and it attaches with wing nuts. The tank is rock solid, no movement at all.
Yup. I have the DR plate and the Rec Wing, and didn't like it at all without the STA. Added STA and all is better... rock solid. :)

Get the STA, its very stable with it.

Get a STA from FredT. He has a few different configurations that will work.

I use an STA with my DR wing (hammerhead cold water package) the few times I dive a single tank and I love it. Also if you are diving the setup in cold water it's great because it takes off a lot of weight off the weight belt giving you a more balanced rig. The plate plus the STA is a little over 11lb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom