Dragging a flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That rig above is not a good idea. Putting a metal to metal connection on your tank, behind your head where you can't reach it is unnecessarily dangerous, although I expect it is convenient in open water ... and that carabiner is also hazardous in that it can self clip to stuff, wires, cord.

It also would preclude a diver from safely ducking in under a reef or into a wreck....It would be PARTICULARLY stupid if someone were spearfishing while using a line on their gun.

Also would not work well in strong currents if you wanted your float to remain on the surface.
Hi @johndiver999

This general configuration is used by several divers with large rigs on the reefs of Boynton Beach who generally dive solo. I don't understand your comment about a metal to metal connection. There are no wires or cords on the reef to get caught in the carabiner. Not used for wreck penetration or spearfishing.

See below
This is interesting, although I'm curious about how your friend operates this rig. It seems like the short yellow line is to keep the reel and breakaway up and out of the way. Does your friend turn and haul down the yellow line to access the reel so he can change depth? Or because he's carrying a camera he is mostly stationary and doesn't need to adjust the reel often?
Hi @Simon B.

Yes, the float keeps the reel up and out of the way. The reel is easily accessed via the float cord for line maintenance, lengthening or shorting for current and/or depth.

Personally, I use an inexpensive line winder that is big enough to slip my wrist through. I keep it on my forearm. In case of emergency point your arm in the direction of the force and it will slide off. You still have both hands free. Managing a flag line is not a big deal once you get used to it. The biggest problem I have had is anglers hooking to the line and trying to reel us in. More than a few times I’ve had to cut the fisherman’s line.

@CT-Rich

Used one for several years before switching to a reel. Many still use one
1656811412448.png

@CT-Rich

View attachment 731353

Oh dear I just used one like that today..
In a super strong current, tying a line to an object that we want to lift, so its easier to find later.
Extremely hard to unwind..... the surface area of the holder made it almost impossible to move because of the strong currents. And I am hanging onto a rock so I am not swept a way at the same time,,,

Time for my video again...

I was using a float and had a shadow boat with a flag as well as someone waving and screaming at this operator...

And where is that? Looks like those are zebra mussels on the bottom....

How deep was that?
That happens to us fairly regularly, but I don't have a flag.. so can't complain...
I usually doesn't happen it very shallow water. But when I am in 9ft of water, you definitely hit the deck, when you hear a boat!!!

And boy when a cigarette boat comes flying by, your chest rattles, it's crazy sometimes

@Rol diy - West Branch of Niagara River, depth there was 12-15'. Yes, a Zebra Mussels carpet.

@CT-Rich

View attachment 731353
Yep, they have hardly changed in 40 years. That they are a little hard to unwind is a feature, not a flaw. Other reels may prove more convenient in currents or other situations, but these are really a good general purpose way to handle towing a flag. If you you need to let it go, just straighten your arm and it is gone. I’ve only let go once and the boater (an overloaded row boat of fishermen) did return it.

Sometimes the simple solution is the best.

FYI....don't use the foam float dive flags in heavy current. My buddy and I were diving and stopped to look at something and realized the float had been pulled under, compressed by water pressure, and would no longer float. He left me on the bottom and brought the flag up to the surface and once getting there was barely missed by a powerboat. After that incident, I bought one of the round inflatable float buoys that are weghted with sand or water. They won't get dragged under. Also, I use that plastic handle and it's nice to loop your arm through. Yes it is hard to wind and unwind , but as said above that can be a feature not a bug.

I think the incident happened in the St. Lawrence River in an area of heavy current similar to Niagara. In the Niagara I used a buddy pair line with a T to the buoy line ue to low vis.

Here is a story with a couple of lessons.

I was drift diving in South Florida and pulling the flag. The weather was calm and current nearly non-existent, so I was shocked when I started feeling a strong tugging on the flag. I looked up and saw a boat by the flag and figured it had somehow gotten entangled. I waited for it to clear, but the boat gunned its engines to full power and tried to pull me up. I figured the odds of my pulling the boat down were slim, so I let go and shot a bag to replace it. I saw my distinctive dive boat appear at the surface for a while, apparently decide I was OK, and then head off.

Back on the surface, I learned what had happened. A private boat had a hunter in the water. He had used one of the reef hooks described in this thread to secure his flag while he went away hunting. His navigational skills apparently sucked, because he eventually surfaced far from his flag in the middle of our grouping of flags. Our boat asked him where his boat was and tried to raise them on the radio, but they did not have their radio on. Our boat went to that boat, told them where their diver was, and told them to turn their rado on.

That boat took off to get their diver, picked him up, and then came back to get his flag. By then our flags had drifted into that area. They chose the wrong flag and started to retrieve mine instead of his. My boat tried to tell them, but they did not have their radio on and ignored the sirens and loud speaker calls. When they could not get the flag loose with their first efforts, they gunned the engine in order to break loose the piece of reef to which it was attached. My boat checked on my dive group before chasing after the other boat to tell them they had the wrong flag.

The lessons should be clear.
  • Be sure you are not firmly attached to your flag.
  • If you decide to hook your flag on the reef, be sure you have good navigational skills.
  • If you decide to hook your flag on the reef, be sure to have a good way to get it back without destroying the reef if your navigational skills suck.
  • Remember what your flag looks like.
  • Turn your radio on.

Back
Top Bottom