Dreading Wed. night class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike F has brought up a good point, and not to belabor it, I feel it is worth a slight restatement.

Most (99%) of the people here LOVE diving (100% are at least interested in it, I hope). You aren't going to get many people telling you that it simply may not be for you. Any instructor who has been at this awhile has had a number of students that don't get certified - most because the student opts not to (not because the instructor has to fail them).

Examine why you are taking these classes, why you really want to do this. I became an instructor 23 years ago. My brother & father, who go to the tropics all the time and watch me and my wife dive, still aren't certified. Oh, they thought about, my brother even took a class but didn't do the OW.

I'd hate for you to give up diving because you aren't comfortable with your instructor or the other students aren't making you feel welcome. However, if you give it up because deep down you simply don't want to or have found that you are not comfortable doing it, then you are making the right choice.

By all means, give yourself the time to adapt to the new skills etc by using more pool time, etc. However, at some point you will reach a conclusion where you know that you should stick it out, or say goodbye. Don't feel bad about your decision either way.

I just got certified about 3 weeks ago. I would strongly suggest hanging in there. I know exactly how you feel. I am a very cautious person, and I was at times nervous about diving. Once I got past the skills and got to enjoy swimming around looking at the environment, I loved it. Good luck and Have fun!

First of all, the fact that you are asking outside questions shows that you really dont want ot quit! But you should be talking to your instructor. He/She knows you way better than any of us. You have to trust the instructor!
Next:
I have had many a-students that have felt the same way, done the same thing. One of them is currently ready for TriMix diving! She stuck it out and had to get over her fear, but now she is a truely great diver that dives every weekend with me. Lots of times people that complain of ear trouble are so nervous that they tense up and in effect close the wacky ear thingy. Also breathing underwater is totally un-natural, so why do you feel disapointed that you are nervous. You just have to hang out in the shallow end until you are ready. Hopefully you are taking lessons somewhere that has a pool. Use it, practice, practice, until you get it.
You sound like you need one on one training. Ask about it. Pay the extra few bucks if you have to. Also believe it or not, having your own equipment helps a huge amount. Because its yours, it fits you and you know you can trust it. It takes all the anxiety out of that aspect of diving (Life Support Equipment)---Been doing this for ten years -- not just pullen your chain. Ask talk to your instructor see what he/she says. Before you hang up your fins!

Any questions please feel free to IM or e-mail me jpbeck1@msn.com---(No Spam please) me personally.

cowprintrabbit:
Beej - Have you been in open water yet? I too had major problems in the pool (still do) but once I was done with my pool dives and moved out into the ocean I was fine. (In fact, out of a class of 3 couples, I was the only wife that finished and got certified - along with my hubby/buddy and the other two husbands.) I think the fact that the pool is so sterile and enclosed has something to do with it. I'm just a newbie, but I would say don't give up till you've been in OW in the Caribbean :)

Thanks for the reply. No, have not been in open water yet...just the pool. Had a class last night and worked one on one with my instructor while rest of the class moved on. Having major problems with ears. Can only clear one side. Today I feel like I'm in a fish bowl. Throbbing pain in ear. Saw my Dr. about it...he said pressure is fine in both ears and no infection. Said I have a dysfunctional eustachian tube. Gave me Nasonex and told me to use it for 10 days to see if we can get some improvement. If not, wants to try a steroid, but I'm not to happy about that. Checking with an ENT to see if there is another solution. Other then that, instructor said I'm getting better with the skills. We talked about repeating the scuba part of the class (only have 3 weeks left). Going to try and see if I can do some extra pool time one on one. Can't give up, not a quitter.

Beej1123:
Saw my Dr. about it...he said pressure is fine in both ears and no infection. Said I have a dysfunctional eustachian tube. Gave me Nasonex and told me to use it for 10 days to see if we can get some improvement. If not, wants to try a steroid, but I'm not to happy about that.
Beej, I recommend you posting your use of Nasonex on the Diving Medicine forum of this board.

I'm pretty sure Nasonex *is* a steroid-based drug used to treat the symptoms (not the cause) of rhinitis, which could be allergy related and is normally when Nasonex is prescribed. I definitely think you should go to an ENT that is familiar with scuba issues. Don't be afraid to ask...

This type of nervousness, while your's may be a bit larger than most, is common. The instructor tried to do the right thing, by bringing you to a less threatening place and working on the skills...but obviously it's still too fast for you. The key thing is that you shouldn't mistake your ABILITY to overcome these obstacles with your PACE...even if the other students seem to be adjusting easily to underwater breathing.

I see a couple of options for you:
1) Extra practice outside class or on your own in a pool, with smaller steps than the one you took. For example, try breathing through the reg above water, standing in waist deep water until you are comfortable. Then just barely put your face in the water. Then kneel down for awhile. Then slowly walk to the deep end in small increments. Ditto for the other skills.

2) Perhaps the peer pressure is the issue ... consider a personal lesson. It might cost more, but the instructor can customize the lessons to your pace.

In the end, I can definately say that it'll be worth the effort if you stick with it. Scuba has enriched and improved nearly all aspects of my life!

Good luck!

You can always ask for private lessons. Costs more, but you definitely get more face time with your instructor. If you have a buddy that wants to do it whom you'll be diving with often, it's a good way to go.

Make sure you like your instructor - if not, look for one you do like...

Well, scuba is not for everyone. Maybe you should snorkel for a while until you get comfortable in the water then start free diving and when you are comfortable with those then try scuba again. There is no shame in being a "slow learner". I have taught many people who were having a difficult time. Some adjusted and finished and some gave it up and some went to another instructor. It's a water world and there are many ways to enjoy it without scuba. Good luck with your dilema...

Hi,

First I'd like to say congratulations on coming here to ask questions. There are many really knowlegeable people here who really love the sport and want to help.

Now, as for my own experience as a new diver.

I had a really hard time getting comfortable in the pool. To many people in small space. I couldn't concentrate correctly, but, I made it through. I'm not really big on crowds to begin with.

That said, when I get into "real water", I'm very comfortable. I actually find myself relaxing more underwater than I would have ever imagined I would. I scuba was someting I always wanted to try, but, it is more enjoyable than I ever thought it would be.

My suggestion would, if you can manage to survive the pool, I think you'll be much more comfortable when you get out into the larger bodies of water where you can have some space to yourself.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Brian

Many cudos to you for sticking with it, even though things aren't quite as smooth as you'd like.

I can only echo the salient points above:

Make sure that you are doing this for the right reason, i.e. that you want to dive.

Spend time with your instructor and other, more experienced divers, both in person and here. Most of us got over problem with masks and ears and bouyancy and weighting gradually, by learning from each other, by reading, by trying different fixes. The important thing is to keep working at it if this is really something you want to do.

Slow down. Take your time. There's no reason to rush. Ear problems respond especially well to this technique. Try practicing swallowing throughout the day, lowering the back of your tongue so that you can hear the little crackle that says that your eustacian tubes are opening. In the water, equalize early and often. By the time you feel pain, the tissues are already traumatized.

Finally, I found this web site useful. It's a nice little review of issues that one instructor discusses before taking his class for their first open water dive. Hope you find it useful:

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lpt/friday.htm

Welcome to the board and the sport. You've got a lot of people cheering you on,
Grier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom