Dreading Wed. night class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beej1123

Registered
Reaction score
It's me again....the slow learner in class that fears Wed. night class. I'm starting to think that this just might not be the sport for me because I just don't seem to get it, and maybe someone out there can help me along. Last week I couldn't do anything right in class...something just didn't "feel" right. I was under water in the deep end with my class and just didn't want to be there. One of the instructors took me in the shallow end and we did the same skills there that the rest of the class was working on. Then I went back to join the class and instructor tried to get me to take my regulator out of my mouth, blow bubbles and put regulator back in....well, I froze up and couldn't do it. He said we'll try again next class. Also have ear problems...saw my Dr. about it, he measured pressure in my ears, checked some other things and told me I have a dysfunctional eustachian tube, so he gave me something for that and it's feeling better.
So right about now I'm on the verge of bagging the whole diving idea, but part of me doesn't want to give up. What's the deal? Can I overcome all this?
Thanks.

P.S. Does anyone out there think that maybe I should repeat the course again if not comfortable after the next 3 weeks?

It really depends on how badly you wish to dive and for what reasons.
I was a very slow learner and had to really focus and force my self to do the skills.
How comfortable are you in the water in general? Do you swim much? that tends to make a big difference.

It is between you and your instructor so if you wish to keep going talk to him. That is what he/she is there for.

It is not uncommon for students to need an extra pool session or two.

Good Luck
Gary

Diving is like spicy food BeeJ,

Most people like it, some people hate it, but pretty much everyone takes a little while to ge the hang of it.

If it is something you see on TV and think to yourself "yeah,... I would like to be there doing that..." then you can do it, it is just a matter of time. If you dont like it and feel unsafe, then you probably are, so get out of the water.

Some people pick it up really easily, most kids for example look like little fish after their first lesson, but dont let this phase you if you seem to need more time. Learn at your own pace, and dont let anyone rush you, least of all your instructor, you are paying them to be patient.

Learning to dive can be a challenge, but most of the people on this board would probably agree with me, IT IS WELL WORTH THE EFFORT.

It changed my life.

You may find that all of your anxiety over the next pool session is for naught. Every day is a different thing. What was hard for you last time might be a piece o' cake this week. But what they said: if this is something you really want, you will be able to do it. Just don't let anyone rush you, ever. Ever. Even when you have 10,000 dives under your belt. You need to do things at your own pace. You'll figure it out. You are not the only person to have this problem, either. I'd say most people have some anxiety over the skills.

Bee! That part of you that doesn't want to give up is the part of you that will be totally exhiliarated when your instructor shakes your hand underwater as you complete your final skill. I went through the same thing you're going through- I can remember dreading class because I had trouble clearing my mask. There were also other things that I wasn't confident about. When my class was ready for check outs, I KNEW I wasn't ready. So I did extra lessons, then I actually signed up with a different instructor (mine had to move) and repeated the course. At the end of that course, I was ready. I'm so glad I didn't give up, because I really enjoy diving now- I try to go every chance I get. Do it for YOU, noone else. If it's something that you really want to do, you will. The skills will come, with time, and a patient instructor. A good instructor will not want you to feel uncomfortable, and they will encourage you to take the time you need in order to feel good about what you're doing. Just take it slow and steady and you will be so glad you did. So what if it takes a longer time, it's not a competition- chances are you'll be a very safe and aware diver when you're finished. Good luck and PM me if you ever need encouragement.
Foo

Here's a story I read in a Certified Divers Book last night - although I may not tell it as well...

Suppose you could walk up into your front yard, then with little effort simply glide up on over the top, flying easily along with the local animals who fly there all the time, pause, look down the chimney, and see an animal you've never seen before looking back in interest?! What would that be worth to you, to be able to do that...?

Take it easy, have fun, but stay with it - it's worth it. Or at least don't ask us if you should quit; we're all still pretty amazed around here. :D

Foo:
Bee! That part of you that doesn't want to give up is the part of you that will be totally exhiliarated when your instructor shakes your hand underwater as you complete your final skill. I went through the same thing you're going through- I can remember dreading class because I had trouble clearing my mask. There were also other things that I wasn't confident about. When my class was ready for check outs, I KNEW I wasn't ready. So I did extra lessons, then I actually signed up with a different instructor (mine had to move) and repeated the course. At the end of that course, I was ready. I'm so glad I didn't give up, because I really enjoy diving now- I try to go every chance I get. Do it for YOU, noone else. If it's something that you really want to do, you will. The skills will come, with time, and a patient instructor. A good instructor will not want you to feel uncomfortable, and they will encourage you to take the time you need in order to feel good about what you're doing. Just take it slow and steady and you will be so glad you did. So what if it takes a longer time, it's not a competition- chances are you'll be a very safe and aware diver when you're finished. Good luck and PM me if you ever need encouragement.
Foo
WOW! Thanks for the encouraging words! And I will probably take you up on that offer to PM you when in need of encouraging words.

Congratulations on taking that first step. It took me a long time to decide I was ready to tackle diving.

I found that it helped me to be real comfortable with snorkeling first. To minimize distractions, I used a pool, and practiced diving to the bottom, clearing my mask, equalizing, clearing my snorkel, etc.

I see you enjoy travel in the Caribbean. Being able to enjoy the underwater world will make your time in the Caribbean even better. So don't give up! It doesn't matter if you're the fastest or the "slowest" in the class at the moment. If you take a little longer to thoroughly learn the skills, you may find yourself at an advantage later on, when the "fast" ones who learned everything so quick can't remember what to do with a free flow or an out of air situation.

Hang in there!

Beej1123:
P.S. Does anyone out there think that maybe I should repeat the course again if not comfortable after the next 3 weeks?

You know...I really don't enjoy bowling that much.

I had a student. The wife of a good freind and former stunent, BTW. She did GREAT in the pool. When OW time came she decided that she wanted to spend more time in the pool instead of going to OW. She went through another class. When she got to OW she looked down into the water at the descent line and decided that she didn't want to do it and went and got a hot dog.

She spent a few more months in the pool. By this time she was better in the water than the vast majority of instructors I see but she still didn't want to go to OW. I really didn't know how to help her because she was so perfect at everything. LOL

They went on vacation to some tropical place and she and her husband thought she might try going in OW there. Well, she did the same thing. She looked down the descent line and got out of the water. I think she did it more than once maybe.

She finally came to the conclusion that she really didn't want to dive.

There's a reason why only like 1% of the population are divers.

When I was a kid I drove an ice cream truck for a while. All my friends wanted ice cream. A friend of mine is a sales rep for a beer company and lots of his friends want beer. I'm a scuba instructor and almost all of my friends who were non-divers when I met them are still non-divers. It's because they don't want to dive and they think I'm nuts because I do. Oh some of them snorkel and lots of them like to watch a little of it on TV but very few want to actually go down there.

If you like it and are motivated enough to work at it intil you get it...GREAT!. If you really don't want to...no matter.

Beej - Have you been in open water yet? I too had major problems in the pool (still do) but once I was done with my pool dives and moved out into the ocean I was fine. (In fact, out of a class of 3 couples, I was the only wife that finished and got certified - along with my hubby/buddy and the other two husbands.) I think the fact that the pool is so sterile and enclosed has something to do with it. I'm just a newbie, but I would say don't give up till you've been in OW in the Caribbean :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom