Drift Dive Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP could have handed the deployed SMB to someone else in the group. Even though the others couldn't shoot a bag, they could most likely roll up the line, or just ascend on the line. Then rescue the paniced diver (take his SMB, and ascend with him to the surface, sharing air as necessary.)

This really depends on whether you assume that the other guy with the SMB was just stressed or completely frozen and useless, and whether you think you could get him to the surface safely.

Sometime you just have to make a call and go with it. If someone gets pi**** it really doesn't matter as long as everybody ends up on the surface unhurt.

Terry

I agree with you, probably best to just thumb the dive and get to the surface. Better a wasted dive, than a wasted life.

As for his gear configuration (regulators in particular)..I personally think a diver should NOT have an octopus when he has a pony bottle. Two second stages are enough to handle and the third has a big potential to cause confusion (as what appeared to happen in this case). The inability to quickly and smoothly switch from the empty primary to the pony reg, might possibly have been a large contributor to the problem. I really think the pony bottle diver should have his pony reg, on a bungi around his neck (assuming it is back mounted).

I agree that the first backup reg should be on a necklace. However, I really don't like the idea of removing a piece of backup gear. I'm sure everyone can imagine scenarios where the back tank octo is needed, even though there is a pony reg. When I carry a pony (required for NJ ocean dives), my octo reg goes in my Seaquest BCD octo pocket. It's secure and available, but nobody is likely to grab it when the pony reg is right under my chin.

Why is a pony "required for NJ ocean dives"? Do the boat operators require it?
Yes, the boat operators require it.

I don't know the history behind it, but I know that NJ technical divers have long been leaders in working out solutions to challenging ocean diving, and I suspect the pony was one such solution.

One of the challenges is that typical dives are in cold waters that have a mix of current and/or poor visibility. If you look away for a moment, your buddy might be out of sight when you look back. So, despite the safety inherent of the buddy system, a diver wants a safeguard if s/he suddenly is in a "solo" situation. The pony's gas becomes the buddy gas that's no longer available to you.

Maybe another reader can add to this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom