Drinking & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you can't abstain from booze past lunchtime, then there might be personal issues that need to be addressed.

Is it really so hard to enjoy a fruit juice with your lunch?

I'm with you Andy.

My drink of choice. However. I mix it with this.

Syfo Beverages | Original Seltzer | Sparkling Waters | Healthy Beverages

Edit: I use the regular seltzer to cut down cran or pom juice. Since I read my own link, I may check the others out there. (most fruit juices have too much sugar.) Like beer and other alcoholic beverages. Just not healthy.

It's not that I have ever had a beer and then went for a dive because that has never happened and that I really want to, but... The reason for my question was to try and find the LOGIC behind it. If I would have water (which I drink constantly thru the day), How would 1 beer affect my dive 3 hours later? If someone was drinking all night long and stopped at 1AM and went for a dive at 8AM, how would that be different then someone having a beer at 10AM and went diving at 5PM?

I started diving 33 years ago and rules seem to change from when I first started diving. It's just a question that came into my head and wanted to hear explanations. (By the way...I have more)

The logic behind the rule has everything to do with statistics -- there is a connection between alcohol consumption and DCI. The exact nature of that connection is not fully understood. But dive operators err on the side of caution. Will one beer three hours before diving mean you will get bent?...probably not. But it is a matter of best practices not to drink at all before diving.

I think about this whenever I see divers running around with a scopolamine patch behind their ear and a beer in their hand. I suppose it would be OK (from a diving perspective) if the person wasn't going to be diving anymore until the boat reached the dock. It might amplify or change the side effect profile of the anti-seasickness med, though.

I always think that's hilarious. You can put those patches anywhere, I don't understand why people insist on putting them behind their ears.

If you are prone to seasickness you can always ask your doc for a Phenergan or Zofran prescription. The tablets dissolve on your tongue and work in minutes.

i say its friday night and i'm drunk right now.......

lets go diving at 1:30am in a thunderstorm! ok maybe drunk diving is bad. but r u drunk after 1 beer 3 hours later? if u are, where did ur wife put ur balls?

Okay, we shouldn't judge other people.

But - for all the "pro drinkers" here - it's like in traffic. If you have a drunk driver who put you in a danger or - in worst case - is responsible for death of a familymember of yours...

...HOW WOULD YOU THINK THEN???

Last edited:
I always think that's hilarious. You can put those patches anywhere, I don't understand why people insist on putting them behind their ears.

If you are prone to seasickness you can always ask your doc for a Phenergan or Zofran prescription. The tablets dissolve on your tongue and work in minutes.
@The Light Eternal: FYI, anyone dosing with promethazine (Phenergan) or ondansetron (Zofran) shouldn't be drinking alcohol either.

The live aboard rule is just a liability thing. I don't drink and dive but I've dove hungover many a time and lived to tell the tale. No, I don't recommend it and I always have a chamber on site.:crafty: :shakehead:

Three hours after one beer, if you are fairly good sized and if you had food with it, your blood alcohol level will be low.

But it will not be zero. And I would not dive with you as a buddy

What are you basing that on? Most people eliminate around 15mg of alcohol per hour, and would be at zero measurable BAC 2 hours after having a single beer

Do you also refuse to dive with people who've just had a glass of orange juice?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom