Drinking the Night before a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe it's just me but I quit drinking the night before diving a while ago.
It's no fun trying to purge alcohol and recuperate from it's effects while trying to concentrate on diving.
I had to decide which was more important, drinking the night before with buddies, or feeling great the next morning, fully rested, alert, having the ability of having my body run at full capacity, and having a great day of diving.
Diving won.
For me it was too easy to get carried away with friends when you're getting a heat on. A few turns into half a dozen really easy and can lead to a late night. Even though alcohol is classified as a depressant it can still be a mental stimulant to many.

You need to make sure that you are
1) well hydrated during the dive. Alcohol causes dehydration, so drink a lot of water.
2) mentally capable (i.e. not hung over).
3) physically capable (throwing up under water can be done, but it really sucks)

I do not know how the breaking products of alcohol affect bubble formation, but maybe you just skip the mandatory decompression dives?

Solved this by not drinking alcohol ever again.

Personally, I almost never drink the night before a dive... which means that I rarely drink. If I do have a drink, it is usually just one. I'm a bit cautious about that since I've done some pretty serious diving and don't want any residual effects from alcohol while diving. I don't use other mind alterants either. I'm an old geezer so I feel it is best to keep my body (and mind) in the best possible shape for what I really DO love... the diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom