Driving to Elevation after diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When diving in Fujairah, we need to go over the hills back to Abu Dhabi. I use Nitrox 32 on my last dive which is usually shallow. I also have a 3 hour surface interval that includes a return boat ride, cleaning gear at the marina, shower at the hotel, and then getting a milkshake at the local burger king. No problems.

GJS

When I am decompression diving in Sana Rosa, NM, and have to drive back over a mountain pass soon after, I take the tank with my last decompression gas (pure oxygen) and place it in the front passenger seat of my van. I breathe it to empty as I drive. Using skip breathing techniques (inhale, hold for 20-3- seconds, exhale), I can make it last a long time. In case your wondering, the determining factor in offgassing is the length of time you are breathing that low nitrogen mix, not the number of breathes you take while breathing.

While I haven't made the trip to Santa Rosa to dive Blue Hole (4600') that John has alluded to, I'm glad that this thread came up. I hadn't considered the climb over Raton Pass, not to mention ending up back home at 7000'.

John, do you depart directly after finishing your last dive in New Mexico or do you hang around a bit to further off-gas before heading home?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom