Drowning off Eastern Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depth Gauge

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anybody have any latest news on the diver who drowned off Eastern Point in Gloucester?

Many thanks,

Jason

I might be able to find more information tomorrow night at our Aquarium Dive Club meeting. He was a member of ours. I'll keep you posted here if I hear anything new.

Thanks PK. I was actually driving out on Eastern Point later in the afternoon and it really freaked me out that it happened just a few hours prior.

Jason

Unfortunately nobody had more news about Tony last night during our club meeting. The news so far seem incomplete and it sounded like there was going to be further investigations. More investigations probably happened but never made it in the newspaper.

Thanks PK! I just don't understand why they didn't surface together while they had their short stint of buddy breathing. And why didn't the instructor buddy breathe with Tony instead of being so concerned with the diver rapidly ascending? I just don't get it.

Jason

That's one part that may make at least some sense, depending on the circumstances.

Based on a conversation with an instructor buddy of mine, the safety of an instructor's students is of paramount importance to them, to the detriment of anything else.

From what we know so far, it sounds as if this instructor saw his student doing a Polaris Missile impression, and immediately went after him to save him from being bent and/or dying. He may not have even known that anyone else was in danger, but even if he did, his primary responsibility (and liability) was his student's safety.

Depth Gauge once bubbled...
Thanks PK! I just don't understand why they didn't surface together while they had their short stint of buddy breathing. And why didn't the instructor buddy breathe with Tony instead of being so concerned with the diver rapidly ascending? I just don't get it.

Jason

Very interesting Gearhead. That would make sense to me IF the instructor didn't see Tony. The student shooting to the surface would not kill her immediately, if at all, and could be treated effectively in a chamber, while the person on the bottom with no air source would definately die and did. Granted if instructors are bound by obligatory codes of conduct under this situation I regretfully understand, but it wouldn't have been the way I would have played it.

Jason

I think when the final report comes out on this death we're going to find the instructor did the right thing going after the student, who was bent as a result of this accident.

It seems that the deceased was very "rough" with the student and through his actions almost lead to the student's death.

Sorry you guys lost a friend, it is very sad.

Back
Top Bottom