Drowning victim resuscitated- video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deac in the Wake

Contributor
Reaction score
I realize this isn't technically a diving-related accident as the woman was swimming, however there is a lesson in this graphic and sobering video about CPR and BLS techniques. I do not have information about the outcome of this incident though there are comments that the woman ultimately did not make it.

I took the rescue diver class because I wanted to be a safer diver and to be of assistance to my fellow divers and, especially, my family members who dive with me. This is one of those videos that makes me glad I did.

Note again that this video is graphic and may be disturbing. It should be. My apologies to the mods if this isn't the correct forum or the video is in violation of the TOS.

LiveLeak.com - Onlookers Attempt To Revive Drowned Woman

What a bunch of ignorant people! Very sad.

OMG!! :amazed:

I could only watch less than a minute of that cluster f***. I lost count of things done incorrectly! As a BLS/ACLS/PALS instructor, it made my skin crawl seeing how much good they were NOT doing that woman.:idk:

It just goes to show, if you're planning on having a personal emergency take your own personal medical team!

That video should be shown at every BLS class as an example of what NOT to do! :no:

OMG!! :amazed:

I could only watch less than a minute of that cluster f***. I lost count of things done incorrectly! As a BLS/ACLS/PALS instructor, it made my skin crawl seeing how much good they were NOT doing that woman.:idk:

It just goes to show, if you're planning on having a personal emergency take your own personal medical team!

That video should be shown at every BLS class as an example of what NOT to do! :no:

So what do you do when the drowning victim is "spitting up that foam? I tried to save a scuba diver who was doing the exact same thing with that white foam comming out but my efforts were not effective.

Interesting. They were giving some kind of quasi compressions and never did I see anyone check her for a pulse. I would guess that it was probably better then doing nothing.

What a bunch of ignorant people! Very sad.

Your statement is very sad... you know nothing about the situation or people involved yet you call the people ignornant..... ignorant for what ? trying to help ? maybe they didn't know what to do , atleast they tried !

Interesting, to say the least. I guess they were trying to force the water from her lungs? I'm amazed she regained consciousness.

I don't think lay people are required to check for a pulse, anymore, but I'm not sure.

Your statement is very sad... you know nothing about the situation or people involved yet you call the people ignornant..... ignorant for what ? trying to help ? maybe they didn't know what to do , atleast they tried !

Ignorant means "not knowing what to do".

Interesting. They were giving some kind of quasi compressions and never did I see anyone check her for a pulse. I would guess that it was probably better then doing nothing.

After watching a couple times, my guess was that she probably had a pulse, was just not breathing?

It appeared she was at first unconscious, then became semi-conscious (eyes open and closed), then at the end regained consciousness (eyes open, focused).

The intial compressions were over her upper abdomen, and probably emptied her stomach and any water she swallowed, then when the rescuer moved his contact point up, it appeared he was over the diaphragm and maybe the xiphoid process, not the lower sternum (but it was hard to tell).

If I had to guess, the compressions may have been getting some air in her lungs (which is probably what she needed) but likely not pumping much blood (which she may not have needed). Really hard to say.

I wouldn't be too hard on the rescuers. I'm guessing none had any training at all, but had probably seen CPR on TV or in a movie, and tried their best. It is easy for us to roll our eyes and be horrified, but had they done nothing at all.... :idk:

Hope she was ok.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom