Dry Glove Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smokin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

I have a DUI CF200 drysuit with the Zipseals and I wanted to add dry gloves, but there seems to be nothing that allows a direct attachment to the Zipseals other than to buy DUI gloves for a ridiculous price. I've read some of the posts on dry glove attachment systems and done some research too and they all seem to be a "next best" solution when combined with Zipseals. Several people mention using cheap gloves from a hardware store instead of the more expensive purpose built gloves so the main question is, why do I need another attachment system for the gloves? What is the issue with gluing a pair of cheap gloves directly to the Zipseal ring over the existing wrist seal? Is it a dexterity problem since it's not removable for donning/doffing? With a tube running under the wrist seal I can't see a pressure equalization problem and I also wouldn't require a wrist dam in case of a minor glove leak.

It seems to me I could use a thin pair of rubber gloves with a glove liner that I use for skiing and I could put a pair of cloth work gloves that I use for warm water wreck diving over them or even a thin pair of neoprene "wet" gloves to protect the rubber glove.

Any comments suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The zip seal system is a pretty good system, but as you have learned it limits the use of other systems. Because the zip seal already adds a bunch of bulk to the wrist, adding any other "normal" attachment system would be really, really bulky.

If the zip seal fitting on the suit is sturdy enough, you could try just pulling over really flexible rubber gloves over top. That's the system that I use (although with a different hard cuff set up) and it works fine. Some people then add electrical tape to make it more secure. Any use of glue would make it pretty permanent, might damage the suit, and would possibly void a warranty.

Since you've got the system, I'd go with the zip seal gloves. Those puppies won't ever pop off during a dive!

Try some stuff. Worse that will happen is you get wet.

Good luck!

VI

I'm not sure if I understand your plan. If you're planning on gluing gloves on to your suit...don't do that. Gloves leak and need to be replaced. What you could try is to use the zip seal from a torn wrist seal...just remove the latex...and glue a glove to that.

Theoretically, I see no problem with your proposed plan -- gluing waterproof gloves to the wrist zip seals and then maintaining a water-tight wrist seal. As you point out, if a tube is worn under the wrist seal, there shouldn't be any equalization problems...and if your glove happens to flood you could simply remove the equalization tube and only your hands would get wet.

Since you have a DUI suit with zipseals already installed, I think the easiest solution is just to suck it up and buy the zipgloves. I know they seem expensive. My dive buddies who have the zipgloves on their DUI suits really like them. They've had no problems at all with the gloves leaking. It's a good system. I believe that the cheapest place to buy a set of zipgloves is ScubaToys for $168. Considering the cost of brand new wrist zipseals + waterproof gloves, I don't think that price is too unreasonable.

Another option would be to go with the Viking Bayonet or DC Concepts dryglove system...and mount them on your wrist zipseals. I believe that a few SB folks have done this successfully.

Thanks for the opinions. I tried some thin latex gloves (used for household cleaning) from the hardware store and just taped them in place since they stretch over the existing Zipseal tightly and just need to be held there. I can even put them on after I've suited up although the taping is more difficult. I can still adjust my neck seal and have plenty of dexterity. I didn't even bother with an equalization tube, but I might try that next.

Thanks for the opinions. I tried some thin latex gloves (used for household cleaning) from the hardware store and just taped them in place since they stretch over the existing Zipseal tightly and just need to be held there. I can even put them on after I've suited up although the taping is more difficult. I can still adjust my neck seal and have plenty of dexterity. I didn't even bother with an equalization tube, but I might try that next.

FYI- I don't need equalizing tubes either. You may not need the tape. My drygloves are held on strictly by stretching over a ring that is only slightly bigger than your zipseal ring.

Tape will be a hassle after a while.

I'm not sure why you'd spend the big $ on such a nice suit only to hack together some backyard POS dryglove system.

I'm not sure why you'd spend the big $ on such a nice suit only to hack together some backyard POS dryglove system.

This is experimental. I have 6.5mm wet gloves, but I don't like them. I've read posts online and nothing seems to be a perfect solution for dry gloves especially with Zipseals. I'd rather try something cheap than spend big $ on another piece of dive gear I don't like. I may decide to get the Zipseal gloves, but I can't even look at a pair locally, I'm also not sure about sizing with different levels of insulation, and I'm not sure about dexterity while suiting up or in the water so I'd rather eliminate some uncertainty and gain more knowledge right now. Cold water diving is something I don't do much so I need to make sure I eliminate bugs before spending bigger $ on a coldwater dive trip. Right now there is no water in Texas that I can even get into for 45 - 60 minutes that is cold enough for a thorough test so I'm working the dexterity and durability variables first.

This is experimental. I have 6.5mm wet gloves, but I don't like them. I've read posts online and nothing seems to be a perfect solution for dry gloves especially with Zipseals. I'd rather try something cheap than spend big $ on another piece of dive gear I don't like. I may decide to get the Zipseal gloves, but I can't even look at a pair locally, I'm also not sure about sizing with different levels of insulation, and I'm not sure about dexterity while suiting up or in the water so I'd rather eliminate some uncertainty and gain more knowledge right now. Cold water diving is something I don't do much so I need to make sure I eliminate bugs before spending bigger $ on a coldwater dive trip. Right now there is no water in Texas that I can even get into for 45 - 60 minutes that is cold enough for a thorough test so I'm working the dexterity and durability variables first.

Hope that it is better for you if you spend big $ for drying gloves. I am sure that your decision is quite exact :wink:

This is experimental.

I understand fully.
You hit the nail on the head when you said theres no 'perfect' fix. It's about figuring out what you can put up with.
DUI = a drag either because you have to ware them while kitting up, or a PITA to install after the suit is on.. you need like 50 people to assist.
Diving Concepts = a bugger to install on zip seals and you have the big plastic ring
Si-Tec = MAJOR pain to install on zip seals, big plastic ring and a convoluted donning doffing process.

I personally like the Diving Concepts especially when I can go here
Atlas Gloves - Insulated
and get replacements for cheap. I also like how easy the gloves are to don and doff

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom