Dry Glove Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone tried this?

Put on regular knit 5 figured glove (one of those one-size fits most), put a rubber glove over that, and then put on a drysuit with normal latex wrist seals ensuring the seals go over the cuff of the rubber glove.

I've never tried it, but it seems like a workable idea.

Has anyone tried this?

Put on regular knit 5 figured glove (one of those one-size fits most), put a rubber glove over that, and then put on a drysuit with normal latex wrist seals ensuring the seals go over the cuff of the rubber glove.

I've never tried it, but it seems like a workable idea.

i have tried that with no real success. The cuff of the gloves are always too big so the won't lay flat enough for the seal to work. There's always a roll (crease) in the glove that allows water thru.
If you can get a glove small enough around the wrist to lay flat there's no room for a liner.
That's been my experience anyway.

Follow up:

The cheap rubber gloves are a success. The best ones I tried are the thickest ones (29 mil), but they still allow plenty of dexterity. I got them at Grainger, and they are latex so they are very stretchy and I can put them on after I've suited up. I just pull them up to a point that exposes about half of the inch or so where the actual wrist seal is glued to the Zipseal piece and then I tape it with electrical tape. I pull the sleave of my underwear through the existing seal to equalize pressure and wear a pair of glove liners I use for skiing under the latex gloves. It leaked a little the first couple of times, but not enough to even wet my underwear sleeve, but just enough to make the glove liner damp and potentially be an issue in cold water. So far the coldest water has been mid 70's, but with winter coming on I may end up gluing the gloves onto the seals. Other than the minor leaking which seemed to be fixed the third time around the only other issue is taking them off. Because I have the wrist seal in place they are vacuum packed to my hand and it's easier to pull the gloves off the suit and re-tape them for the next dive than to leave them. I may end up trimming the wrist seal and permanently gluing the glove, but I'll leave that for later. An unexpected bonus is that the gloves protect the wrist seal which tends to wear on the leading edge of the Zipseal ring since it's somewhat rigid and makes the seal the front line of defense.

Another thought.... I bought a pair of Waterproof Crux gloves that I wear with my USIA Drysuit. I dive year round in Puget Sound and Hood Canal. Surprisingly, my coldest dives of record have been 38 degrees during a lake dive for my Rescue cert. The gloves keep my hands toasty warm but a little wet, and have excellent dexterity. The only real problem I have with them is making sure my wrist seals are seated BEFORE donning the gloves. After that, it's a matter of flipping the dry suit cuffs over the gloves and closing the velcro flaps. The end result is warm hands and you don't notice them getting wet. I have been with several folks with the dry rubber gloves and seals on their dry suits. Seems to me there is a 100% failure rate with them. I dive with the KISS principle of keeping things simple and their failures are attributed to improper donning, a rolled seal etc. JUST A THOUGHT

I use a pair of black marigolds inside out for signalling around my sitech cuffs. Those'll be replaced next year by diving concepts/skaana gloves though.

Up here, many opt for Nordic Blue without insulation. The suit's latex cuff goes over your insulation gloves, and the dry gloves' latex cuff seals against the suit's. If you don't want to run the suit's seals over the insulation gloves, use a piece of wire or something on the inside of your wrist. Gloves like these are pretty easy to DIY too...

gloves1.jpg

gloves2.jpg

I also use the Sitech and Viking ring systems. Both works, but I've had a few leaks with the Sitech rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom