Dry gloves and equalising

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have a typhoon 3mm crushed suit, my first dry suit! what dry gloves should I use, and how do I attatch them. I have asked in a dive shop but they were not sure. I would like to keep the wrist seal as is and attatch another seal to put "push on gloves" on. can I stick the first part of a latex wrist seal onto the neoprene then attach the ring system? if I do this how will my gloves equalise. Also I have seen "stand alone" dry gloves. whould these be better. I am diving in about 11 degrees next week and know my hands will get cold.

I am assuming your suit has neoprene seals and that the glove rings designed to slip inside a latex seal won't fit. Adding a latex seal (or part of it) to the suit most likely will not work as I really doubt it will stick to the suit or a neoprene seal adequately.

If a suit has latex seals, there is no problem installing the ring and the seal remains functional so you can dive the suit without the gloves attached if you prefer in warmer water. In this case when the glove is worn, a piece of latex surgical tubing 3 inches or so long is routed under the wrist seal along the tendons in your wrist. This allows air in and out of the glove.

I have seen stand alone dry gloves but have limited experience with them. I have used the neoprene variety in the distant past and they struck me as being more semi-dry gloves than dry gloves as the seal is not perfect but does reduce water flow assuming the other seams in the glove are water tight. A totally effective stand alone dry glove would be uncomfortable due to sqeeze issues.

The good news here is that dry gloves are not your only option. With a dry suit you stay warmer than in a wet suit and consequently the circulation to the extremeties remains better as your body is not shutting off blood flow to maintain it's core temperature. This means your hands will stay warm even in a wet suit glove. A pair of good quality 5 or 7mm gloves should be adequate. In exteme cases 7mm three finger mitts can be used for additional warmth and are also available with dry/semi-dry versions with wrist seals.

Back
Top Bottom