Dry Gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillAbbott

Reaction score
I got to thinking recently about possibly adding dry gloves to my suit... I don't like the idea of spending the money as I still need a BP/Wing, regs, tanks, weights, etc, To complete my gear. But my hands do get chilly, I bought the warmest wet gloves I could find and they work great on the first dive... but on the next dive they start getting cool, and on each dive after I get cold hands. Also they are so darn bulky.

My worries are, which dry gloves? and what do they run on average? I've heard all sorts of things about dry gloves, easy to tear/rip, not that easy to tear/rip, leaked, don't leak, etc. I dove with a guy not long ago who used dry gloves and one glove constantly leaked, he came up every time with a wet hand, and he just put new o-rings on it to try and fix it, which didn't help at all.

I've heard of a million+ brands.

I guess, what do they typically cost. Whats a good brand that never or hardly ever leaks (I've heard some brands are far better than others at leak resistance), and I guess anything else you feel is pertinent.

I dive the PNW, and this time of year the dives I'm doing run around 46-47 degrees, but I still get cold hands. I don't Typically touch rocks or anything MUCH, but I do grab rocks from time to time. I use a USIA Aqualite (Shell) suit with latex wrist seals.

Also is it possible in any way to have dry gloves that SHOULD they leak still insulate? or is that just wishfull thinking?

I really want to get my regulator next, but if I can afford to grab a pair of dry gloves, and all my "worries" about them are found to be not true, I might have to grab a pair.

Silly question. How do the diving concepts gloves attach? It also looked like there was about 3 different systems from Diving Concepts (one is the no ring system, silly thing) Do they just connect to the suit connector, like by "snapping" on or do they like twist on, or what?

They look pretty good, and sound like they aren't very spendy.

WillAbbott once bubbled...
Silly question. How do the diving concepts gloves attach? It also looked like there was about 3 different systems from Diving Concepts (one is the no ring system, silly thing) Do they just connect to the suit connector, like by "snapping" on or do they like twist on, or what?

They look pretty good, and sound like they aren't very spendy.

Yep they just snap on.You have a plastic ring that installs on the sleeve of your drysuit and the gloves have a seperate ring.The glove ring has an o-ring that seals to the sleeve ring when snapped together.No twist on or anything like that.

I purchased a pair from chris at covci a while back.They work great.There are several ways to use them too.You can use them with a wrist seal in case of a glove failure or without the wrist seal if you wish.I must warn you though,if you use them with the wrist seal they can be a pain in the a$$ to install on a trilam suit.:D

http://www.divingconcepts.com/link1.htm
http://www.divingconcepts.com/dryglove.htm

Nevermind my last... I called COVCI and talked to them about theese... $130 and $140 for the system, sounds pretty dang good to me.

The new crushed neoprene ones sound interesting. Has anyone yet used them yet?

It sounded like the new neoprene ones seem to have an increased dexterity. I would also think they would last longer, and be very unprone to tears/ruptures. From my experience (not just in diving) neoprene is pretty tough to try and tear a hole in, or rip.

I would think the replacement of the neoprene glove would probably be more costly and difficult, but I would think they would have better insulation characteristics SHOULD they flood, as well as increased durrability.

Anyone have an opinion or know? Though I don't grab stuff on a regular bassis, I still in the back of my mind think that a rubber glove would be MUCH easier to rip/tear than would the neoprene glove, but I can't emagine there really is much of a difference in the dextereity of the 2 gloves... the other disadvantage of the neoprene is that it's not BLUE like the rubber ones HAHAHAH, sorry just HAD to throw that in there... I think the rubbers are neater looking cause it's obvious they are dry gloves, and I like the color blue :wink:

WillAbbott once bubbled...
Nevermind my last... I called COVCI and talked to them about theese... $130 and $140 for the system, sounds pretty dang good to me.

and I like the color blue :wink:

Won't that blue clash with your pink fins?

I think the Covci system is way too expensive actually. I use rubber concrete finisher gloves that cost $2.00 a pair, and wool or thininsulate liners. Have only put a hole in one so far, and that was on the surface.
Those popin systems are way too hard to get on and off, and the replacement gloves are way too expensive. I also have my wrist seals intact.

MD

Hey Mech, maybe I'm alil slow. I just rodered a dry suit with the Diving Concept gloves and rings. Are you saying that you use these concrete gloves with the DC glove rings? Or do you just put warm gloves under them and them put them over or under your wet suit seals? I'm new to this whole dry diving thing. Please explain....:confused:

taat2d once bubbled...
Hey Mech, maybe I'm alil slow. I just rodered a dry suit with the Diving Concept gloves and rings. Are you saying that you use these concrete gloves with the DC glove rings? Or do you just put warm gloves under them and them put them over or under your wet suit seals? I'm new to this whole dry diving thing. Please explain....:confused:

My "outer" rings are probably similiar to the DC system in that they are fairly large, and rubber. My wrist seal extends thru the outer ring, and is held captive by an inner ring that is inside the sleeve and snaps into the heavy outer ring. Your style of glove would then snap into the female part of my outer ring. A buddy has that style and I don't like them.

I use heavy (30 GA) rubber gloves that stretch over the rubber ring and seal to it. I wear liners that actually provide the warmth. The gloves, unless you are using a tube, are totally outside the suit. If they puncture or come off, I still have the wrist seal to seal the suit. I can remove and replace my rings in about 5 minutes if needed. And, like I said, the gloves are dirt cheap, but very functional.

MD

OK I gotcha now. Thanx for the explaination.

Back
Top Bottom