Dry mouth...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
One problem I have when I dive is dry mouth. Before I enter the water, I try to take as many drinks of fresh water as I can get before I put the reg in my mouth. Even trying to get all the water I can, I still get the occasional gag reflex on the descent. On my last two dives, I rubbed toothpaste on my gums to stimulate my salivary glands. It worked well. I have thought about listerine breath strips, but I always forget to buy them. I don't want to use candies or gums for fear of aspirating them.

So..., here's my question: Are there any other things to use to help the salivary glands get going without posing a potential aspiration hazard? Something that is transportable, without needing refrigeration (tubes of yogurt come to mind)? I really don't like the idea of the breath strips, but they are quickly absorbed if they are aspirated - at least I think they are.

Let me know your ideas.

on long dives I will sometimes tuck a hard candy in my lip *usually upper, so kind of opposite location of where people put dip*. prevents aspiration risk and will usually last about an hour or so. If you start getting dry mouth, take your reg out, suck on it for a second or two and put the reg back in.

Many will take bananas, gogurts, etc. on big dives for deco but that's not for drymouth. Capri suns are also popular, but again, for deco, not mid-dive

That is the only thing that sucks about compressed air.. Its very dry stuff. When I did my first couple of dives I have noticed many people bringing Oranges and drinking a bunch of water and Capri Suns. I personally just drank water right up until I jumped off the boat an immediately when I got back on the boat..

Oasis (possibly similar to the Biotene) before each dive, I keep it in my mask box. After buying it once or twice I started to make my own from vegetable glycerin, water, and mint extract - sort of like making your own ear beer.

I've dived a Sherwood Oasis my entire diving life (first certified in 1986, DM in 2000; quit logging but close to 1,000 dives). Whether it works or is a placebo (I believe folks will come down on either side), I have never experienced dry mouth while on a dive.

If your issue is significant to where it is a distraction, the Oasis regulator may deserve investigation.

I've been told this is a bad omen to take on a boat. Banana spiders are supposed to be a hazard.

boat dives don't really get long enough to warrant snacks, that was more for cave dives. If you're getting them on normal recreational dives, then you're probably better off trying to figure out how to suck on a hard candy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom