Dry suit fit question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian Roebuck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is my first drysuit, and in south Florida there’s not a lot of drysuit divers to ask this to.
The suit seems to fit well in the body but the legs definitely seem baggy. Would just adding gaiters be a good option? I’ll attach a photo of me in it to give a reference of what I’m talking about.

Attachments

• 83F4E15C-A4CA-433A-A9D5-01DF3DE1EF39.jpeg
    83F4E15C-A4CA-433A-A9D5-01DF3DE1EF39.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 168
Could you manage vs is it optimal, is a big question. I’ve made baggy legs work with gaiters and maintaining a tight squeeze. But ideally you want the right fit. The legs are the worst place to trap air and the easiest to do it in when in proper diver position. So given the option id get a suit with smaller legs.
Just a couple hours north of you is a mecca of super experienced drysuit divers to ask advice from. Just walk around the cave sights or cave shops.

For me, when the legs are too long or too big, they make it uncomfortable to swim with the suit but this is for me. I swim longer distances on the surface from shore to get to the drop down point.

For me, when the legs are too long or too big, they make it uncomfortable to swim with the suit but this is for me. I swim longer distances on the surface from shore to get to the drop down point.
Understandable, the shore dive spots I frequent aren’t very far to the drop point, and I generally have my scooter so long swims aren’t really a concern. I’ll be doing my DS class in a few weeks so I guess we’ll see how it goes. Think I’ll definitely pick up a set of gaiters to help mitigate the air in the lower legs.

This is my first drysuit, and in south Florida there’s not a lot of drysuit divers to ask this to.
The suit seems to fit well in the body but the legs definitely seem baggy. Would just adding gaiters be a good option? I’ll attach a photo of me in it to give a reference of what I’m talking about.

go down to Aqui and harass @LandonL He will get you in a suit that fits. The one you are wearing most definitely does not.
Legs are way too long and quite baggy, especially in the thighs.
arms are a bit long and quite baggy

You'll be miserable diving that suit. Return it if you can, that's not the experience you want to start with. Gaiters are not the answer

Question had you burbed the suit. I am in the same boat. Big torso(belly for.me) short legs. Had to get a 3x for the torso but legs probably should have been an XL or l. Once burbed the suit molds very well. When it's not burbed/squeezed it unwieldy. Once I hit the water and get all the air out it streamlines fairly well. A custom would have been wonderful, but couldn't swing the travel cost plus the additional cost of a custom at the time.

Question had you burbed the suit. I am in the same boat. Big torso(belly for.me) short legs. Had to get a 3x for the torso but legs probably should have been an XL or l. Once burbed the suit molds very well. When it's not burbed/squeezed it unwieldy. Once I hit the water and get all the air out it streamlines fairly well. A custom would have been wonderful, but couldn't swing the travel cost plus the additional cost of a custom at the time.
It wasn’t fully burped. I took out the wrist seals for easy on off without risk of damaging the wrist seals.

That suit does not fit and you may regret that neck ring. Those of us who are slighter of build seem to have issues with them. Personally, I hate them with a passion. They interfere with the BC straps and with light undergarments require some kind of extra padding on the collar bones.
You also can't put gaiters around the thighs. Way too much material there and it also looks like the shoulders are too big.
I can see a lot of trouble managing the bubble in that suit. More than necessary.
A responsible shop and instructor would not send you out the door in that suit.

Back
Top Bottom