Dry vs Semi-dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

what are your thoughts.

Semi-dry is like semi-pregnant. There's no such thing: Either "you are" or "you aren't."

Just wnt to chip in any way,

Best reason for me to go dry was,in between dives and after the last dive.
Strong E-N-E winds and you have to get back in to your clothes aka get OUT of the wet/semi wet suit.In a drysuit you will just stay warm,when in a semi/wet suit you'll cool down to less than 1 inch.:rofl3:

I never used a dry-suit before, so can't comment on that.
However, I've used a 7mm wetsuit with a 7mm step-in hooded vest in 40F water on two consecutive dives, 45 min first, 55 minutes second. My core and head were actually comfortable on both dives, but hands and feet were a different matter...couldn't feel either for a few minutes after the second dive. It might have something to do with the fact that I was wearing 3mm gloves and 6.5mm boots.
Oh, I also used one of those self-heating pads (thera-peat pack) on both dives; tucked it into my wetsuit right around my chest. It definitely made the difference at least in the beginning of each dive. I'm getting 5mm gloves and wool socks next time I dive in water this cold.
I know enough to agree with previous comments about dry suits. If you are going to dive in water that's below 50F and can afford a drysuit, buy one.
I can't afford one right now, so I have to improvise when diving in cold water.
...just my two cents.

Surface temp on Lake Michigan can be 60-70 at the end of summer but at dept 45 degrees is about average. I dove wet the first year I was cerified. !1t dive was Ok, the second dive I was very very cold and didn't warm up until the following morning.
With a dry suit and dry gloves I am very comfortable.

I would suggest that a good drysuit will go a long ways towards extending your diving season, and comfort especially during SI's.

Diving cold water wet is not really an issue. What does become an issue is the SI. Your feet are cold, your core temp drops, and you can't get warm. The second dive is going to make it worst. My philosophy is if I can not dive something in a 3mm, I dive it dry! :D

You don't have to spend a fortune on a drysuit. I purchased a used Bare NexGen a few years back, and that is the best $400 I have spend on dive gear! :D

Back
Top Bottom