Drying equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stanw

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What do you do to dry off your equipment such as your booties, mask, etc. to ensure they do not get moldy? I ring out the water after getting out of the water and use a towel to dry off as much as I can. Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks.

One option I'm looking into is constructing a drying rack made from pvc pipes to hang gear on.

I plan to build a suit drier from PVC but currently (to save time and money) I just use one of those hangair driers for the drysuit/wetsuit and one for the undergarments. I have a Drydoc boot drier for the gloves and boots and socks.

If you buy a drier get one that doesn't generate heat. building one is a good option if you have basic DIY skills and have some basic hand tools.

I like to hang mine in the basement for a few days then move to another room thats dryer. No mold mildew ever.

If it's the summertime I just put everything out in the sun after I rinse it all well. If it's the winter, I'll rinse it all and then hang stuff up in our 2nd bathroom and blow a fan on it. This has always worked well for me.

I simply hang the wet suits to dry but I use a ski-boot dryer for the booties and gloves as it has low and hi fan options without heat and can be run off of 12V (car adapter), "D" batteries, or the usual wall plug. Cost about $30 on sale at our local ski shack. One downside: only 2 'prongs' to put stuff on (so I usually stick it in the booties the gloves). Otherwise I turn every thing upside down on a air vent in the house and turn on the house fan. That drives the wife crazy, however. :-O

Hubby and I just rinse everything well then lay out towels and pop the gear on top till it dries. The wetsuits hang up on their special hangers and on a pole put up by hubby and when the bcds are dryer they go up on hangers too. Fins, booties, masks and gloves all go away in the dive bags once totally dry. I never put anything away until totally dry and nothing goes outside. I never put any of our gear out in the sun.

I dry mine out in the bathroom, it was over 46C the other day and they dried quick :) In winter I put them on a rack near a heater. Dry wetsuit, etc out on one side and then switch :)

For my booties and also my drysuit legs (when I fully wash my drysuit inside) I stuff newspaper in them. It dries them out very well but sometimes you have to replace the newspaper once after a few hours.

I put all my neoprene in the washing machine on gentle with a small amount of soap powders and dry them in the dryer on low. I slosh my BC around in the bathtub in lightly soaped water then rinse with clear water a couple times after which I hang it on the shower head to drip dry. After this I hang it on my bedroom door to dry. When dry the BC hangs in my closet and the other stuff goes in my suitcase ready for the next trip. Never had any problem doing this.

Back
Top Bottom