drying out wet suit and booties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conventional motors (with brushes) always create some sparking and that creates some ozone. Part of the "electric motor" smell some people can almost taste. I'm not sure I'd really be concerned about that for my wetsuit...maybe I should also spray it with UV protectant during those harsh daylight dives?

"Fleece" probably is absorbing a lot more water than a skinned or lycra covered wetsuit, I'm betting that's part of the problem. There aren't many ways to hasten the water out. Maybe zip it all up and run a hairdryer at the lowest setting for hours, or find a gentle clothes drier and tumble it. I'm only half kidding when I say to pour rubbing alcohol or cheap vodka all over the wetsuit fleece first...the alcohol will evaporate faster and it will pull the water out at the same time.

You could try rolling the wetsuit up with fresh dry towels against the fleece, roll TIGHT and let the towel pull out some of the water. Then try to air the rest out.

I've also seen a lot of folks stringing a clothesline outside, and leaving their wetsuits out to air that way. (With my luck the two-legged picnic ants would carry off the gear during the night.)

And if your booties are like mine...pull out the inner soles, but nothing will dry the booties except time or a hair dryer.

Maybe if you wore the wetsuit on the plane?(G)

Three possible options:
  1. Don't pack as much. That way you'll have room for the wet gear.
  2. Bite the bullet and pay the extra luggage fees for an overweight bag. This assumes you have the option to pay a little extra.
  3. Roll your clothes in a towel in hopes it soaks up some of the moisture. Also, crank up the air conditioning (this can help reduce humidity and improve drying). This last one might not work and you'll have to anticipate option number 2.
I usually go for option 1. Whether going on a dive trip or just sightseeing, I assume I'll be bringing stuff back for gifts as well. So I tend to pack a little light.

Darrell

How is the ozone measured? What is the allowable threshold and how much does this little motor produce. I'll let you know if it becomes a problem before the glue and the stitching falls apart. Dang you for making me think about this. You probably tease cats with laser pointers too. You found my weakness.

Neoprene may not like ozone, but, one, the HangAir being used for a few hours every now and then just isn't going to make that much ozone. Once the suit is dry, you CAN turn the HangAir off....

And, two, most wetsuits are neoprene sandwiched between two layers of nylon. So, how much is the actual neoprene being exposed to the ozone, versus just the nylon surface layers being exposed?

If your wetsuit dies from ozone exposure from a HangAir before you otherwise wear it out, well, you aren't diving NEARLY enough!

If you are boat diving, and don't need the boots to walk ashore try taking them off straight after the dive, and once the boat starts moving hold them up with the ankle opening facing into the wind. I also sometimes avoid washing them after the last dive if they are partially dive. A day or two without washing will not hurt them. I have boots that have done trips to islands where you have to bring all fresh water with you so they have gone 10-12 days without being washed

Eduardo's device for drying boots is similar to one I use at home, except I have added 90 degree elbow sockets to the top of the tubes, it helps get the air down into the toes

For drying the feet in my drysuit, or to dry booties, if I'm in a hurry, I got these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010A5JBPO

$40, but totally worth it, to me, when I was trying to dry the feet in my drysuit. I have a HangAir, but that did nothing to dry the inside of my drysuit feet. These boot dryers will dry my suit feet overnight.

I wouldn't bother to take these on a fly-to-dive trip, though. My booties don't get so heavy when they're wet that it really matters to my luggage allowance (assuming they at least air dry overnight).

My bags often weigh 49+ pounds when I leave for a trip. There are several items that I do not bring back home with me - pint of alcohol for rinsing ears, shave cream and other travel toiletries, magazines, etc. that may total 2 or 3 pounds. The scales at the return airport usually weigh me in at 49+ pounds. In addition, I try to dry all of my stuff as best I can.

I had the same problem of being over weighted returning from a trip. When I checked the bag, I was 1 pound over. They were going to hit me for the extra fee then the person asked if I was a diver after seeing a logo on my backpack, and proceeded to tell me how she and her husband just got certified. She let it go through with no extra fee. Lucky this time. I never accounted for the "water weight". I had even packed light seeing I was only doing one dive.
I have a Hang Air dryer for at least 10 years and have used it to dry my wetsuit, ice rescue suit, and swiftwater drysuit. I teach 2-4 day programs for ice rescue and water rescue, the inside of the drysuits get pretty damp from sweat and some water, they are usually dry the next day for class.

I have the same problem if I dive close to when we pack the car to leave Florida each winter. Damp stuff in the car is OK I guess, but I do this: Rinse very well. Hang suit. Wring stuff out often. Then, as long as it's well rinsed, I will put it all in the sun---that's the ONLY time it goes in the sun.

If possible, plan a non dive day at the end of your trip so your gear has time to dry. With boots buy a roll of paper towels and stuff inside the boot to wick away the moisture. Change the towels when they are wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom