Drysuit boots are too big.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ameneon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a dry suit with boots that are too big for my feet. They fit perfectly in the fins though. The witdth of the feet on the suit fits nicely, but they are abit long. The boots are rubber boots with neopren at the top which is attached to the shell suit. I don't have any problems with floaty feet.

While diving I have the bands on the fins very tight such that the fins are stuck to the boot and pressures on the heel which helps abit on keeping the foot in the boot. But it is not enough and sometimes during a dive the foot slowly starts sliding out of the boot. Having to fix this several times during a dive is of course quite annoying.

I have two pair of thick wool socks on so any more is not really an option. :)
I've heard abit about fin keepers, but I guess these are mostly to stick the fins to the boots? Or will they also help keeping the foot in place?
Would gators help, or are they pointless since the width of the feet are not the problem?

Are there other ways of fixing this problem? I don't consider replacing the boots on the suit as an option because of the price.

You can pick up some velcro bands and try snugging down the ankles- that sometimes helps.

Are there other ways of fixing this problem? I don't consider replacing the boots on the suit as an option because of the price.

Well obviously replacing them is the best way but I have another idea for you

Tie them on.

Use the lace from a hiking boot and tie it like this.

- hold the lace out and put your foot on it so the lace is under the foot

- cross it over fairly tightly above the foot

- loop it back behind the ankle and cross over fairly tightly again

- loop it back to the front of the leg and tie it off fairly tightly .

If you tie it down like this then there's no way your foot can slip out

Don't ask me why I know this :)

R..

Do your fins have springs or just the regular straps?
I love my springs :)

My Atomic fins came with an insert on each fin, not sure what the inserts are for (maybe
to protect the boot pockets when traveling) any way if you dive with the inserts on, that will
make the boot pocket smaller. I found a piece of thick rubber about 1/8" and used the inserts
as a template, I haven't dove with my new inserts but the boots fit much better now.
If you are not into DIY new fins maybe be cheaper than new dry suit boots.

which helps abit on keeping the foot in the boot. But it is not enough and sometimes during a dive the foot slowly starts sliding out of the boot. Having to fix this several times during a dive is of course quite annoying.
And dangerous.

I have two pair of thick wool socks on so any more is not really an option. :)
Why not? You either need smaller boots or take up the space. I can tell the difference if I use a thinner sock vs a thicker sock in my Turbo Soles. My feet move around more. I use a DUI 400gm bootie and ultra thick Thurlo socks together. Maybe you could try a nice thick pair of booties and a pair of socks at the same time?

Finkeepers do a nice job of preventing what you are talking about. They have a strap that goes over the instep, one that goes under the foot, and one that goes around the heel. Properly sized, they compress the boot and make it difficult for it to slide off. (Not impossible!) It would be an inexpensive thing to try, because replacing the boots is a pricey repair.

Back
Top Bottom