Drysuit dump valves: wrist vs. shoulder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mocrumbo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello,
Could someone please explain to me the advantage of having a wrist dump over a traditional shoulder dump.

Thanks.

I consider a wrist dump a disadvantage. you need to raise your arm to dump rather than just dip a shoulder like you would with a shoulder dump.

Some of us can't do the "raise a shoulder" thing. I have to make a massive chicken-wing maneuver that involves raising my hand for a few seconds to accumulate gas in the left arm anyways, so the idea of a wrist dump sounds absolutely heavenly. However, everyone I know who has one has more-than-minor grievances with them, so I imagine in reality they're not as great as I like to think they are. :/

I can't. Dumping air from a shoulder dump should be as simple as executing a very minor roll or tilt to the right side, putting the left shoulder in a slightly elevated position, venting gas. At most a slight "chicken wing" maneuver will accomplish the same.
I never understood the need for a cuff dump. But YMMV. I've actually seen suits with exhaust valves down near the feet. I guess for those poorly trained divers. I dunno.

they are a pain if you wear anything on the wrist you will have issues with the valve and the shoulder valve you can get higher easer then a wrist valve

I had mine moved to the wrist as when taking pictures the shoulder one vented too easily. This was specific to the Fusion, in my previous suit the shoulder worked just fine. I find the wrist takes more effort than the shoulder (raising a hand that I would rather have available to be doing something else) but I don't need to adjust all that often so have not found it to be a problem. I would go with the shoulder.

Thanks to all of your answers. I have had a shoulder dump for years. I had a feeling I was misled when it was suggested that I get a wrist dump on a new suit. I thought, "Don't be so closed-minded. Try something new." Well I should have stuck with what I knew would work just fine. Some lessons are more expensive than others.

I thought, "Don't be so closed-minded. Try something new."

The key is to not be so "open-minded" that your brain falls out!

:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom