Drysuit Primer: is it worth the money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alewar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,

I'm planing on investing in a drysuit. The shop I'm buying it from also offers GUE's drysuit primer and I wonder if it's worth the $300.

Has anyone done this primer and can give me some objective advice?
All people I normally dive with use drysuits, so I'm already familiar with their functioning, maintenance, etc..

Thanks.

Hi, Alewar. I haven't taken the drysuit class, but I did take GUE Primer, and it was well worth the money. My husband is taking the drysuit class next week, and I will encourage him to write a report.

I'd say go for it. I took it and really enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. When you think about it, for two full days of instruction, $300 is kind of a steal, IMO. If you have experienced GUE trained buddies who dive dry it's probably not necessary but even then I think you'll get something out of the class.
Best,
Keith

I switched to a drysuit and struggled with it for many dives, then finally learned to really dive a drysuit in Fundies.

GUE instructors work wonders. I did not take the drysuit primer, but know every minute in class with a GUE instructor is precious. It's always money well spent :wink:!

Great report, Kate. I had read it before, but it was worth reading again right before Mario takes his class.

Could the inventory of reports be made a sticky?

My wife and I decided to take Drysuit Primer in the middle of our Fundies class. Our bouyancy was all over the place in thick wetsuits for our first shot at Fundies (Rec Pass) open water dives. So we stopped, took DS primer, and then continued Fundies dry. It turned out to be a great decision and money well spent. It really helped us get the details of DS diving down pat, and adding the Fundies skills to the mix really made it all come together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom