Drysuit requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitecrawlah

Registered
Reaction score
I've decided to purchase a drysuit but when looking I see there is a wide range in the options and features.Wondered if the most expensive suits are the best. Need to know what experienced divers consider important, unnecessary, or frills. Most diving is done in 50F and warmer. Am leaning toward crushed neoprene since has some insulating properties on its own. Decided to post this seemingly simple question in the Advanced section since beginners would have no idea.

Crushed Neopreen has some insulation, but is quite heavy and can be slow to dry after a dive. Will you travel with your drysuit? Do you need the extra abrasion resistance of crushed neoprene? I would recommend trilaminate, unless you need the abrasion resistance (think shipwrecks, rocky shore dives). It's easy to get a thicker undergarment to make up for the difference in insulation. I also hear the new whites fusion and similar drysuits are very nice, but I haven't tried any.

Will travel the east coast from Va to Florida mostly. Maybe head north a little too.

I would recommend the "try before you buy" approach. Not sure where you are located, but many dive locations in colder areas have Demo Days - DUI and Whites are very big. Other places have local shops that will let you demo different brands. The LDS by me has a demo trailer with Whites, DUI, Bare, Pinnacle and Waterproof suits (I think that is the list).

I personally own a Whites Fusion and love the fit and ease of use. I don't have a lot of experience with other suits, but the Fusion was an inexpensive suit and you'll find a lot of great reviews on ScubaBoard.

As M Bipartitus said, crushed neoprene suits are heavy compared to the laminate suits. Since you are diving in 50° water, the little extra insulation probably won't matter that much.

Good luck in your suit hunt.

The range you specified is a little south of Pennsylvania, but if you can make it up to Dutch Springs (Bethlehem, PA), you can do dry suit demos with Indian Valley Scuba.

suspenders... don't forget the suspenders!

Fit, comfort, ease of use. All the things that apply to most pieces of scuba equipment apply here.

If you don't have much (or any) dry suit experience, there is a big knowledge gap that you don't know what you don't know. Trying a few different suits will start to give you a feel and let you make a more informed decision. I went in with little knowledge, but had a great group of people with experience giving me guidance (both on-line and in real life).

Good fit provides better streamlining and venting. Unless you are stock size it may be worth paying for a custom cut suit. Details like well fitting feet are important. Of course too tight is not good either. Make sure you can reach your valves and your kicks are not restricted.

The best place to put dump valves depends on your personal range on motion so it is one of those things you have to try. You should be able to move your valve to the highest point on your body and nominally horizontal without rolling much to one side. If you cannot get it there consider having the moved.

Trilam vs Crushed neoprene comes down to personal preference and the type of diving you are doing. As noted before trilam is lighter, dries faster and packs smaller, but is less durable than neoprene.

Getting knee patches to toughen up a trilam suit may make it tough enough for your diving you will have to decide. Also two large thigh pockets are a real plus.

The undergarments are as important as the dry suit.

Dan MacKay’s “Dress for Success” book has a section on dry suit fitting. You can order that from GUE. Try before you buy is good advice.

Back
Top Bottom