Drysuit skills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well i just got a bare sb system suit.. No class-- just played in the pool and got it in about 10 mins to get the basics-- and before to long i felt fine with all the things you need to learn.. If you can find someone who has the padi drysuit video-- its a good watch.. Lets you know the important things..

how to burp your suit if you need to evacuate air quickly(run away valve etc)
how to tuck and role should the air go to you feet..
how to drain the air out of your valve
how to remove the inflator hose should you have a run away hose
how to care for the suit..
how to make the air move around your suit..

They are all really easy to learn to do... One thing to remember is--- if the air runs to your feet-- dont freeze up-- kick-- you have power units on your feet(fins).. kick down-- and role out of it.. The air comes back up-- and you can vent it or just distribute it through the suit.. No problem

Thanks!

Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

I don't want to go over some of the good comments already mentioned. But just to add.

1. Read your drysuit manual in full.
2. pre-dive - Ensure that your exhaust valve is fully opened. At least this is what my DUI manual says.

3. inflate the drysuit only enough to loft the undergarments and keep warm. Then use the wing/BCD for buoyancy as you continue to descend. This is how I like to do it. Smaller bubble = less to deal with. If a big bubble goes to your feet it could be trouble fast.

4. As I ascend at the end of the dive I like to exhaust all my drysuit air and just work with the wing. This simplifies things when I just have to deal with one buoyancy device. And don't worry about perfect horizontal trim, just drop your legs for a bit and let all the air drain.
5. Take care of your drysuit and lube the zipper.

Thanks. I sure hope Pinnacle gets back to Mike soon so I can know WHEN I'll be getting the suit. I hate the holidays for this kind of stuff.

One thing that was suggested to me that I found really helped was practicing ascents and descents by pre-determining where you were going to stop. For example, every 5 feet stop and hover for 30 seconds. I think it has helped, haven't had a runaway ascent yet :)

Another thing was just making sure to go slow. Getting to the bottom takes me longer because my suit vents slowly, same with ascending. Gearing up takes a bit longer sometimes because of all the layers underneath, and yet another hose to connect and so forth. I personally still need to make a concentrated effort to take my time and don't let it stress me out.

I agree to ask the LDS to through in a class with suit cost. Typically the local instructor will add you to the next OW/AOW class and show you the ropes, or through you in the pool the same day to sort out the basics. Do some research and ask your questions.

I agree to ask the LDS to through in a class with suit cost. Typically the local instructor will add you to the next OW/AOW class and show you the ropes, or through you in the pool the same day to sort out the basics. Do some research and ask your questions.

Again I have no LDS to ask. I have to order via internet. The closest LDS (45 MILES) doesn't have a dealership for Pinnacle.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

My first experience trying a drysuit without a class or pool work did not go so well- I am really glad to have taken the class and had a much better experience diving dry since.

Take what you have learned from watching the videos, helping your buddy and apply it on a real dive, max depth 15 feet. Practice until you can stop your ascent in less than 15 feet. If you hit the surface try again.Before I take students to open water they must be able to correct position, disconnect the dry suit hose and vent (shoulder valve, pulling wrist seal and neck seal) without hitting the surface or bottom in a 12 foot pool. That is after I depress the inflate button for a few seconds.Not a complete list but some items you can work on
  • "Managing the bubble" getting used to the air moving back and forth from your shoulders to your toes in every position. Some suits this is more of an issue than others.
  • Weighting and trim. It is a little different than with a wetsuit, especially maintaining trim.
  • Slow ascents. You have to give time for the gas to come out of the undergarment. Some are slower than others.
  • How to remove the suit quickly in case you do not have a p valve or relief zipper :wink:
This is advice it would do you well to heed
I learned the above very similarly from my drysuit class .. a really good mentor could teach you, but I like my instructor

... here is my review of my class and what I learned ... Dry Suit Class

Again I have no LDS to ask. I have to order via internet. The closest LDS (45 MILES) doesn't have a dealership for Pinnacle.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

Just a question......Are you planning on servicing your suit yourself? Have you been properly fitted to know that the size you are getting will be the proper fit? To me, a drysuit is an investment worthy of getting in your car and driving to the place that you will be buying from and getting it properly sized (and the bonus is you can get the class thrown in). I really just hope that you are not rushing into online ordering a suit so that you will be less than happy going forward. There is more to a drysuit than clicking purchase and learning some skills. I needed new fins because of the boot size which I only knew because I tried various ones on with my intended undergarment sock......

Just food for thought from a concerned member.

Back
Top Bottom