Drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bklyncg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just ordered my first drysuit. Looking for some suggestions for undergarments that won’t break the bank. I have polypropylene long underwear that I can use as a base layer. What would be good for a second layer to use while I save up for an actual jumpsuit. Thanks guys

Do you have any polyester fleece? In a pinch, sweatpants and a sweatshirt can be used. NO COTTON! Although really baggy pants might be uncomfortable under your drysuit. Stuff that fits closer is preferred. Put merino wool over your polypro and some fleece on top.

Use thick wool socks on your feet.

If you have a fleece vest, you can add that, too. Core warmth without too much on your arms. Layering is key.

If you have a fleece vest, you can add that, too. Core warmth without too much on your arms. Layering is key.
Thanks for the tips.

50° will be a lot different than 70°. As stated, cotton is horrible.
poofy warm isn't a good warm. Poofy is squishy, and squished it isn't warm. Thinner, but denser, has proven to work better for me. Doesn't squeeze as much. But under the right conditions can work.

Out of my personal collection of undergarments (have several) I would be running the 4th element halo in 50° water, this is a good choice in 50° SoCal waters. The Wenzel compact in 60+° water. The Wenzel is squishy, but works pretty good in warmer water where I don't want to be super warm. I have a little bit of a thermostat with more air added to the suit for more warmth and less air to run cooler. Variable poofyness. Some fleece for the 70° water.

Depth, duration, thermoclines, and surface temps also doctor what is a good choice. Not a bad idea to run a little chilled for a short dip below a cold thermocline to avoid overheating in the shallows/surface.
Too much warmth, I sweat, get the undergarments wet, then cold no matter what. I've been more comfortable with less undergarment than too much.

50° will be a lot different than 70°. As stated, cotton is horrible.
poofy warm isn't a good warm. Poofy is squishy, and squished it isn't warm. Thinner, but denser, has proven to work better for me. Doesn't squeeze as much. But under the right conditions can work.

Out of my personal collection of undergarments (have several) I would be running the 4th element halo in 50° water, this is a good choice in 50° SoCal waters. The Wenzel compact in 60+° water. The Wenzel is squishy, but works pretty good in warmer water where I don't want to be super warm. I have a little bit of a thermostat with more air added to the suit for more warmth and less air to run cooler. Variable poofyness. Some fleece for the 70° water.

Depth, duration, thermoclines, and surface temps also doctor what is a good choice. Not a bad idea to run a little chilled for a short dip below a cold thermocline to avoid overheating in the shallows/surface.
Too much warmth, I sweat, get the undergarments wet, then cold no matter what. I've been more comfortable with less undergarment than too much.
Thanks. Those suits are pretty expensive for me at the moment. I’m kinda looking for some alternatives until I can get and actual diving undergarment.

Marie gave some good advice above. Many active wear brands have appropriate layers that are not cotton. I only have base layers, but I've seen thicker layers before. Wool itches me like crazy, but I love merino wool. I can attest to it's insulating properties with more than a few wet drysuit dives to my name.

Scuba undergarments are quite expensive, but you might also check SB's market. I bought my first jumpsuit from here. It was slightly big but plenty warm for 40 degrees. Bought my current 4th Element full set from a friend for cheap because it didn't fit him and he never returned it. If you're not in a rush, there are many deals to be had.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom