Drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgot to add - you don’t want anything with a zip neck. That will possibly interfere with drysuit neck seal.

This post says the same thing, but has a couple brand suggestions. Any outdoor store would be a good place to look for fleece - in various other posts on this subject EMS, REI, Columbia, and even Walmart have been mentioned as having good varieties of fleece thicknesses. I've seen them at Costco, as well. That's where I bought my merino and a couple thick base layers.

Forgot to add - you don’t want anything with a zip neck. That will possibly interfere with drysuit neck seal.

And/or extremely uncomfortable. You didn't give me that advice when I got my first drysuit. :wink:

I’ve got the pricey Smart Wool merino stuff from REI. Tops and bottoms were $100 each. I know someone who got merino off Amazon and has been pleased with it. Spent a lot less but I imagine it’s scratchy stuff. Can’t deal with scratchy wool myself. Check out the REI Outlet online. I’ve gotten good sales there before. Love their wool socks.

I DO NOT like wool. Makes me itch. I put off buying merino wool for about a year. I bought from Amazon and I'll be honest, if it didn't say wool on the tag I wouldn't believe it. I prefer it as my base layer. It keeps me feeling dry, doesn't stink, and is fairly warm. I have 250gsm stuff and it's very thin. If I had it to do again I'd get maybe 400gsm. I use either a fluffy undergarment (cold) or 4th element (colder) depending.

You did not say what type of drysuit? Trilam or neoprene?

You can find deals on stuff, but it'll still be pricey. I like layers..

Good luck.

Marie gave some good advice above. Many active wear brands have appropriate layers that are not cotton. I only have base layers, but I've seen thicker layers before. Wool itches me like crazy, but I love merino wool. I can attest to it's insulating properties with more than a few wet drysuit dives to my name.

Scuba undergarments are quite expensive, but you might also check SB's market. I bought my first jumpsuit from here. It was slightly big but plenty warm for 40 degrees. Bought my current 4th Element full set from a friend for cheap because it didn't fit him and he never returned it. If you're not in a rush, there are many deals to be ha
I DO NOT like wool. Makes me itch. I put off buying merino wool for about a year. I bought from Amazon and I'll be honest, if it didn't say wool on the tag I wouldn't believe it. I prefer it as my base layer. It keeps me feeling dry, doesn't stink, and is fairly warm. I have 250gsm stuff and it's very thin. If I had it to do again I'd get maybe 400gsm. I use either a fluffy undergarment (cold) or 4th element (colder) depending.

You did not say what type of drysuit? Trilam or neoprene?

You can find deals on stuff, but it'll still be pricey. I like layers..

Good luck.
Thanks. Do you recall what brand you bought from Amazon? It’s a trilam suit btw

These are my bottom layer depending on the temp:
Winter
MINUS33 KATMAI MEN'S BOTTOM EXPEDITION WEIGHT $110
MINUS33 YUKON MEN'S CREW EXPEDITION WEIGHT $110

Between summer and winter
MINUS33 CHOCORUA MEN'S CREW MIDWEIGHT $75
MINUS33 KANCAMAGUS MEN'S BOTTOM MIDWEIGHT $75

Summer
MINUS33 TICONDEROGA MEN'S CREW LIGHTWEIGHT $70
MINUS33 SARATOGA MEN'S BOTTOM LIGHTWEIGHT $70

--

This is the only thing I wear on my feet:
Darn Tough Mountaineering Micro Crew Extra Cushion #1953 $28

--

As of right now down about 60 degrees I wear 4th Element Xerotherm top $160 and bottom $160. From 60-50 I add 4th Element Arctic Top $180 but I do feel a bit of the cool on my legs but overall no matter.

Under 50 and I get cold after about 20mins.. Looking to get a Santi BZ400 to address that.

I have a Santi Elite Dry Suit

This is exactly what I bought... they're thinner than you would think, but warm. I have a neo suit, with a trilam I would get thicker marino.. but I'm a wuss with cold.

These are my bottom layer depending on the temp:
Winter
MINUS33 KATMAI MEN'S BOTTOM EXPEDITION WEIGHT $110
MINUS33 YUKON MEN'S CREW EXPEDITION WEIGHT $110

Between summer and winter
MINUS33 CHOCORUA MEN'S CREW MIDWEIGHT $75
MINUS33 KANCAMAGUS MEN'S BOTTOM MIDWEIGHT $75

Summer
MINUS33 TICONDEROGA MEN'S CREW LIGHTWEIGHT $70
MINUS33 SARATOGA MEN'S BOTTOM LIGHTWEIGHT $70

--

This is the only thing I wear on my feet:
Darn Tough Mountaineering Micro Crew Extra Cushion #1953 $28

--

As of right now down about 60 I wear 4th Element Xerotherm top $160 and bottom $160. From 60-50 I add 4th Element Arctic Top $180 but I do feel a bit of the cool on my legs but overall no matter.

Under 50 and I get cold after about 20mins.. Looking to get a Santi BZ400 to address that.
Awesome thanks

Awesome thanks
Expedition should say what weight it is. The thicker the better depending where you're diving.

95% of my diving is cold water.. I have at least 2 sometimes 3 layer underneath a 6mm neoprene drysuit.

Watching. Been diving the Great Lakes in wintertime, water temp down to 34F / 2C, and I've been finding recently that my Fourth Element Arctics and X-Core vest just aren't enough. Looking at the BZ400 but also want to check out the new Halo.

Back
Top Bottom