Drysuit - Wearing In Period?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brizzolatti

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello folks. I've gone and done it - bought my first drysuit. This is getting way serious now! I got a Northern Diver Divemaster after much pondering. Haven't been in the water with it yet but have had it on in the house (!). Until recently, all my diving was in a 3mm shortie (front zip) but now I want to dive in the UK more frequently and regularly. The drysuit obviously feels very diffferent to what I have been used to: it is heavier, it is enclosed, it is tighter at the neck. Plus wearing a hood feels a bit strange to me.

So my question is - is there a wearing in period for drysuits of a few dives before they start to feel like a second skin? You know, like wearing in a pair of shoes? Or is it just a case of getting used to them?

I will know soon enough because I will be diving at the weekend but I am curious about any experience others have had. This is not so much about technique of using a drysuit but of feel.

Yes...diving dry is a very different experience (one I happen to prefer). After a few dives, you'll get it under control.

If you haven't already, please take a drysuit class. They will cover a lot of important information that could save your life.

Its never going to feel like a second skin, but yes, you'll get used to the feel. Once I'm in the water, mine pretty well disappears except for dealing with the squeeze.

MD

The cuffs & neck seal will have a "breaking in" period, the neoprene does stretch after several dives & become more comfy. (assuming you have neoprene seals).
If they're too tight, a little stretching over a can, bottle or ball will do the trick. Remove the object just before diving.

If you got had the optional latex seals put on the suit, they may need trimming. Stretching latex provides miniscule results.

Thanks for the advice re stretching, Bob. I will do that. The guy in the shop said he would change the seals if they feel too tight but suggested I try a couple of dives first to see - sensible advice.

Soggy, I have done the drysuit specialty course but in a rental membrane suit. It was looser than the Divemaster, less fitted but with a bit more movement than I'm getting with the neoprene.

I think I just have a thing about tight clothing and things at my neck!! But I was fine doing the specialty course, rather to my surprise so hopefully, I'll be fine come the weekend.

I'm going to try it on again now!!

I love my shell suit, I find it a thousand times more comfortable than wetsuits & a hundred times more comfortable than neoprene drysuits.
That's just me... & a lot of other people i dive with. hehe.
I have only 2 dives with it, though & can sympathize with the "wearing in" concerns you have... it is so much more comfy & well-suited to me than naything else I've dove in... but as with everything certain elements will take a little getting used to.

I don't care for the "standard" recreational cut, I always get neoprene suits that have a little extra room in them for adding more undies.
I just have a thing about tight clothing and things at my neck!!
The suit & seals should be comfy enough to wear 10 - 11 hours straight.

Update - I have stretched the neck seal and the hood overnight and they are both feeling better. Not too tight but giving a good seal. Wrists are a bit tight but I'll leave them for the moment and see what they're like after a couple of dives.

It is beginning to feel more natural - or I'm getting used to it.

Yes the latexx tends to stretch after a while. So one must be careful how much to trim when the seals are new.

Feels strange to start with but soon becomes a home from home. Can't beat getting out of the water dry. Plus, there is nothng quite like giving a good blast of air into the suit on shore to give that great ahhhh, thats better feeling of easing off. lol.

Back
Top Bottom