Drysuit weekend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MADiveGirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had my first "real" dives this weekend using my drysuit (Bare NexGen) up here in the Boston area (Rockport), and it was FABULOUS!!!!! I did my training dives on the Cape in a quiet, calm pond, so this was my first real diving for fun experience in the suit. I'm in love. :) While the training day was incredibly useful and I learned a lot, I felt far from competent in my suit and my brain was going 100 mph just focusing on the suit. This time, I just dove, and only had to give the suit a random thought now and again - it was glorious! I still have to work on my weighting (I could drop a few pounds for certain, but I'll fine tune over the next few weekends), but in general, the diving was fantastic and I was very warm and comfortable in it. What I love is just how convenient it is overall. By the time I'm done loading the car, the few droplets of water that are on the suit have run off and it's dry. At home, rinse it off, let it dry for a few minutes, powder the seals, pack away in the storage bag.

Diving was great - I'm now officially a New England ocean diver. :) For anyone familiar with the area, we first dove Cathedral Rocks and saw tons of starfish, clams, a few lobster and a lot of beautiful plant life. The second dive was at Back Beach where we saw a TON of lobster, some flounder, more crabs and again beautiful plant life. Viz was great. It was a GREAT day of diving - really incredible. I feel very fortunate to have such easy access so close to home - weather permitting, for $16 (cost of a 2 tank rental for a day) I can go whenever I want. Wow.

Thanks to all for the informative discussions here - when I was shopping I read each and every post related to dry suits to help with my decision making process and was thankful for the variety of opinions. This is a great board! I hope to soon click my dive number to the next range in my profile - at this rate, definitely by the end of the summer! :)

The Bare Nex Gen is a quality suit for an affordable price. I owned the Bare Nex Gen Pro for a while before switching to a front-entry suit and it never let me down (I just wanted a front-entry).

The first time in a drysuit, you'll never feel really competent, as it's such a weird feeling. Now it's great that you're feeling so comfortable that it's nearly second nature. It's good that you have enjoyable diving so close and for a reasonable price. You might be interested in purchasing a couple of used tanks and getting a yearly air card; then it's even cheaper, and you'll want to go diving all the time.

Yup, tanks are next on my list..... I could possibly see myself with them by the end of the summer. Maybe..... It's the last thing I need then I'm completely set (got my own collection of weights when I picked up the tanks on Friday.).

Congratulations on a great dry suit experience! It does make diving much more comfortable and convenient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom