Dsat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calado

Registered
Reaction score
What do you think about DSAT vs some of the other tek agencies courses?

Thanks,
PC

calado once bubbled...
What do you think about DSAT vs some of the other tek agencies courses?

Thanks,
PC

You sure you wanna know?

Can only comment on two instructors I have seen giving the "courses" here in NA and frankly I am surprised they got their ratings so fast... one of them approached me a couple of years back and gave me **** for giving divers decompression training... said I was nuts and nobody had any business going below 130 feet.

That said, it depends on who's delivering the programs

Yep, of course the instructor is always the main choise.

But I was mainly looking to get some feedbacks on the program itself.

Thanks,
PC

You should do some serious investigation before signing on. See if you can get ahold of the course standards before you start. You may find that the more expereinced and skilled instructors are not teaching the DSAT program, but teach for other agencies.

Wood

My TDI instructor in the UK started trying to teach the DSAT course (he was in the first batch of instructors recognised by PADI Europe) but they have now gone back to TDI.

It was too expensive a package to sell - both for time and equipment. Most people these days just don't have the time commitment to be able to do it in that manner and find it better broken down by doing it over three progressive courses with TDI or IANTD.

Just look at recreational diving - with PADI there are three distinct stages to get to rescue diver (which is where I believe all recreational divers should aim for as a minimum). BSAC used to do it in "one" course and found themselves losing out to PADI, SAA etc.

I don't consider aprentice deep (or whatever it's called) to be a suitable step and shops are finding that they can't sell that either....

However, it does have far better documentation and teaching aides than the others of I have seen.

Jonathan

Having completed the DSAT TecRec I was extremely happy with course.
The theory material is fantastic, and the course has almost twice the Dives as the equivalent TDI course, and I found it to be a very through grounding into Technical Diving, I would recommend the course provided it is taught by a very experienced technical instructor with at least a few hundred tech dives under their belt.

Having said that it is a long course it took me 7 weeks to complete diving every weekend, I certainley did not rush it.

If you are after a quick certification the the DSAT TecRec is not an option.

Thanks,

I am a TDI Nitrox Diver and a PADI Adv.OW, and I'm about to start the TDI Adv.Nitrox and TDI Deco Procedures. But my instructor might start late this year with DSAT. So the instructor is not the point here.....
I'm trying to look, and find out if DSAT might be a good option for later courses (maybe if they start with Trimix ....), but I want to get more experience before going to that stage. I have now around 3 and a half years diving, and around 130 dives in all dephs (max 55m), in diferent locations.

But the main idea I'm geting out of this poll, is that maybe after the Adv.Nitrox and Deco. Proc. from TDI, the DSAT courses are not the right choise.Tek Rec is a all in one. Is this true?

Thanks,

You have dove to 55m (180ft) and you have not yet taken adv nitrox/deco/extended range and or trimix yet? That sounds extremely risky to me. A regular nitrox and advanced open water does not train in any, way, shape, or form to dive that deep. That is dangerous man and you should really get the necessary training before you really hurt yourself.

James

Thanks for your concern VaJames, but that's not the question here ....

And I have done many 30m (100ft) dives much more "dangerous" than some at 40 plus meters ... but that is a subject for another poll .... and YES... diving at 55m without the proper training/equipment is extremely dangerous, and perhaps deadly ....

PC

calado once bubbled...
Thanks for your concern VaJames, but that's not the question here ....
and YES... diving at 55m without the proper training/equipment is extremely dangerous, and perhaps deadly ....
PC

So why are you doing it without comprehensive training then? :confused:

The DSAT Trimix courses look like they are going to be first rate; there was a good article on them in the PADI Pros Magazine last month.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom