Dsat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So why are you doing it without comprehensive training then?

I don't anymore ... 55m only done once in a very good sea conditions ... also dangerous ..... don't do this at home :)
My max bottom depth is 45m .... no more ... and with a planing .... rec planing, not tek planing .....

I'm going to get the training, don't worry =-)

That's why I'm looking for some advices on next courses ...
My Adv.Nitrox plus Decompressive Procedures is just starting ....

Thanks for the tip on Trimix (Sydney_Diver), I will try and look at the magazine.

i just got my dsat tec deep instructor rating.

not planning to teach that, just took it since you can get it (like any other padi instructor rating) just with sending a few papers and money. no dives or courses involved.

went through the material, it is very good compared to the terrible stuff offered by tdi or others.

but still, it's too much for the purpose, impossible to do on a time that people have or price that people are willing to pay.
;-0

janitor_69 once bubbled...

not planning to teach that, just took it since you can get it (like any other padi instructor rating) just with sending a few papers and money. no dives or courses involved.

I call BS.

The instructor rating is more than just paper work.

went through the material, it is very good compared to the terrible stuff offered by tdi or others.

but still, it's too much for the purpose, impossible to do on a time that people have or price that people are willing to pay.

So you are saying that all the material that is covered in the DESAT program is more than what you need to do extended range obligatory decompression diving? I would call it comprehensive.

After spend 4 months completing the course I feel very confident doing that sort of diving, but I would not say that I have too much training for the purpose.

IMHO, I don't think you are a DESAT instructor or someone with much techinical dive experience. If you prove me wrong, I wouldn't want to do training with you or anyone that would say the DESAT program is "too much for the purpose."

;-0

Did you really become a technical instructor without dives or classroom... what experience do you have to teach advanced techniques? Even though you do not intend to teach it -- as you say -- does this sound OK to you?

Just wondering...

Doppler

Very interesting topic here.

If PADI are giving away the DSAT rating then I guess it's a similar sort of deal as the other instructor ratings:

Take for example wreck diver courses - to teach a wreck diver course you only have to have certified 20 odd divers and have some documented evidence of wreck diving (i.e. log book).

OK so you can't falsify the number of students taught but we all know instructors that have made up dives to meet the initial instructor requirement of 100 logged dives, so why not add a few wreck dives to the list!

In my opinion if you're teaching wreck or Tec you should be top of the game and it should be a requirement that you can prove it under stringent evaluation!

Choose carefully the instructors out there - some aren't what their respective organisations say they are (not just PADI!).

Later - Dave.

My friend is working towards his padi dsat instructor and he is having to do a lot more than send in paperwork! He had to take the whole tec-rec course just for starters. There are additional dives and he has to instruct a number of classes under supervision before he will get it.

Not sure what janitor has but let us know how you did it. I'm sure my pal would rather do it that way. He's been working towards it for over 6 months so far

Doppler once bubbled...

Did you really become a technical instructor without dives or classroom... what experience do you have to teach advanced techniques? Even though you do not intend to teach it -- as you say -- does this sound OK to you?

Just wondering...

Doppler

WIth my qualifications I haven't even applied to be a DSAT instructor.. ANd I don't think I ever will..

Last year I assisted in teaching a DSAT CD that wanted to cross over to ANDI, level 3 + 4(first two tech ratings).. It turns out to get this rating he had to go over some of the academics and a few SIMULATED deco dives... He was certified to teach other instructors and in his own words NEVER did any deco dives.. Thats scary..

I had to bring him though the various user levels and instructor classes and he had to show computer d/ls attesting to his experience(and skill).. it took him several months of diving to get to an experience level that was acceptable.. He now will assist another instructor in a few user classes so he can teach on his own.. He has done some DSAT instructor classes in the meantime.

What background is necessary to become a DSAT instructor? Is it so diferent from the other agencies? All this is very very strange .....:confused: At least for me ...

It seams to me that everyone has a friend, or a friends friend ... that .. this .. or that .... but what does DSAT really requeries? Be a PADI instructor? a Tek instructor from other agencie? any other stuff? :confused:

calado once bubbled...
What background is necessary to become a DSAT instructor? Is it so diferent from the other agencies? All this is very very strange .....:confused: At least for me ...

It seams to me that everyone has a friend, or a friends friend ... that .. this .. or that .... but what does DSAT really requeries? Be a PADI instructor? a Tek instructor from other agencie? any other stuff? :confused:

They have some listed qualifications as to experience levels and required certs but it seems people look the other way once $$$ get involved...

I'm not implying there aren't any good DSAT instructors out there it just seems they went away from their original goal that not everyone was suited to become a dsat instructor... It seems they want to get the numbers up....

In the past, if you were already a tech instructor you had to get a letter from your tech agency attesting to the fact that you are indeed an active tech instructor and have taught at least 1 tech class.. (this portion waved the work with a cd) all that was now necessary was to meet the required nitrox and deep certs and take an academic exam at an IE.

My guess is that it will eventually become a "self certfiying" instructor... like most padi specialties...

I like padi's materials and classes for recreational divers, I just wish they stayed where they have the experience... not trying to get at the last buck...

I remember the days when PADI along with skin diver and DAN preached Nitrox was the devil gas, and agencies like ANDI and IANTD got banned from DEMA.

;-0

This is rubbish
Here are the details for TecRec Instructor

Qualifying as a Tec Deep Instructor

There are a couple ways you can qualify to teach the Tec Deep Diver course, depending on your present training and experience.

Tec Deep Instructor Training Course

The ideal way to qualify is by completing a Tec Deep Instructor training course conducted by a PADI Course Director who is qualified as a Tec Deep Instructor Trainer. Benefits of taking the training course include:

You may participate in the course before you meet all the experience requirements necessary for instructor certification, and complete your certification later after meeting the experience requirements.
The course credits you as having assisted with an Apprentice Tec course, which is part of your assisting requirements.
The instructor trainer can complete your peer skill review and sign your application.
You may take the Tec Deep Instructor Exams as part of the course instead of during an IE.
To enroll in a DSAT Tec Deep Instructor training course, you must meet the following criteria:

Be a renewed PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor (or a PADI Instructor with a higher rating).
Be a PADI Enriched Air Diver or equivalent. For this program, equivalency is proof of certification in enriched air nitrox diving with training that includes gas analysis, cylinder labeling, oxygen toxicity, calculating oxygen exposure, determining maximum depth limits, finding equivalent air depths and planning enriched air dives with different enriched air blends (not just EANx32 and EANx36).
Be a PADI Enriched Air Instructor, or have successfully completed a PADI Enriched Air Instructor training course.
Be a PADI Deep Diver Specialty Instructor, or have successfully completed a PADI Deep Diver Specialty Instructor training course.
Have a minimum of 100 logged dives, where at least 20 dives were made with enriched air nitrox, 25 dives were deeper than 18 metres/60 feet and at least 15 dives were deeper than 30 metres/100 feet.
Note that you don’t have to have the Tec Deep Diver certification (or equivalent); the instructor trainer can include diver-level certification in the course.

Upon successfully completing the DSAT Tec Deep Instructor training course, before sending the application to your PADI Office, you must meet the following criteria:

Be a renewed PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer or PADI Instructor with a higher rating.
Be a PADI Enriched Air Instructor.
Be a PADI Deep Diver Specialty Instructor.
Be certified as a DSAT Tec Deep Diver (or equivalent). (This may be part of the Tec Deep Instructor training course).
Have assisted with at least two DSAT Tec Deep Diver courses or one Apprentice Tec Diver course and one Tec Deep Diver course. (Completing the DSAT Tec Deep Instructor training course credits you as having assisted with an Apprentice Tec Diver course.)
Have a minimum of 270 dives logged, with at least 25 stage decompression dives that had a maximum depth deeper than 40 metres/130 feet.
Have certified a total of ten or more PADI Deep Divers and/or PADI Enriched Air Divers. Any combination that totals ten in acceptable.
Have successfully completed the Tec Deep Instructor Standards Exam and the Tec Deep Instructor Theory and Practical Application Exam. (This is usually part of the Tec Deep Instructor training course).
Meet the peer review waterskill requirements listed on the DSAT Tec Deep Instructor Application through the attesting signature of a DSAT Tec Deep Instructor or a PADI Instructor with an equivalent rating. (This is usually handled by the instructor trainer during the Tec Deep Instructor training course).
Applying Directly

Direct application is best suited to PADI Instructors who are already well experienced as tec instructors.

To apply directly to your local PADI Office, you must meet the following criteria:

Be a renewed PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer or PADI Instructor with a higher rating.
Be a PADI Enriched Air Instructor.
Be a PADI Deep Diver Specialty Instructor.
Be certified as a DSAT Tec Deep Diver (or equivalent).
Have assisted with at least two DSAT Tec Deep Diver courses or one Apprentice Tec Diver course and one Tec Deep Diver course. If certified by another training organization as an instructor equivalent to DSAT Tec Deep Instructor, having taught or assisted with two courses equivalent to the Tec Deep Diver course may meet this requirement, as stipulated on the Tec Deep Instructor Application.
Have a minimum of 270 dives logged, with at least 25 stage decompression dives that had a maximum depth deeper than 40 metres/130 feet.
Have certified a total of ten or more PADI Deep Divers and/or PADI Enriched Air Divers. Any combination that totals ten in acceptable.
Have successfully completed the Tec Deep Instructor Standards Exam and the Tec Deep Instructor Theory and Practical Application Exam. (Testing will be available at select IEs.)
Meet the peer review waterskill requirements listed on the DSAT Tec Deep Instructor Application through the attesting signature of a DSAT Tec Deep Instructor or a PADI Instructor with an equivalent rating.
The application must include documentation/proof of meeting these requirements as required on the application. These may include photocopies of certifications, qualifications, etc., witness signatures and other documentation as noted on the application.

The application will be made available at DEMA and is also included in the course outline.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom