DSMB norms in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trying to think of something really inappropriate involving Urban Dictionary and restaurants... thanks again to all for lightening a day that begins with the snow-removal crew grinding down our street that's been reduced to one lane wide, and is going to end with more bloody freezing rain.

Please may we stay for a month instead of a week? We know we are slow learners and need to practise everything carefully, and Dearest Buddy just got a new GoPro to play with. (And a second, um, sausage.)

Surface Marker, a big tube of brightly colored material that is deployed once you're at the surface as a way to signal boats, as opposed to a DSMB, which is deployed before you surface.

I appreciate this has become a bit of a joke, but I have long wondered why people bother to make a distinction. It seems to me one could use the abbreviation "SMB" to refer generically both to Surface Marker Buoys that are deployed on the surface and Surface Marker Buoys that are deployed at depth. What's the point of adding another letter? It only makes the abbreviation more unwieldy to say. I venture to guess that few of us carry SMBs that could NOT be deployed at depth. Granted, a diver might not be able to deploy an SMB at depth because the diver isn't also carrying a spool, but the spool is not part of the SMB. Carrying a spool doesn't transform your SMB into a DSMB. Some SMBs that cannot be deployed at depth no doubt exist, but I think we're all talking here about the tubular kind that has an open bottom with a D-ring or similar hardware for attaching a line so that it can, if desired, be deployed at depth. Here, I typed "SMB" into LeisurePro's search box, and all eight of the items it found are just as I described: smb - Search Results for smb - LeisurePro.

I think I'll take a pass on looking "SMB" up in Urban Dictionary. I don't want to know.

It's what Skittle is going to tell Christi in post #1,000.

Had to look it up. I would never be so crass.
Plus, I greatly value Christi's input- I just feel in this thread she's misinterpreting what I am saying. Or at least what I am meaning to say.

I appreciate this has become a bit of a joke, but I have long wondered why people bother to make a distinction. It seems to me one could use the abbreviation "SMB" to refer generically both to Surface Marker Buoys that are deployed on the surface and Surface Marker Buoys that are deployed at depth. What's the point of adding another letter? It only makes the abbreviation more unwieldy to say. I venture to guess that few of us carry SMBs that could NOT be deployed at depth. Granted, a diver might not be able to deploy an SMB at depth because the diver isn't also carrying a spool, but the spool is not part of the SMB. Carrying a spool doesn't transform your SMB into a DSMB. Some SMBs that cannot be deployed at depth no doubt exist, but I think we're all talking here about the tubular kind that has an open bottom with a D-ring or similar hardware for attaching a line so that it can, if desired, be deployed at depth. Here, I typed "SMB" into LeisurePro's search box, and all eight of the items it found are just as I described: smb - Search Results for smb - LeisurePro.

I think I'll take a pass on looking "SMB" up in Urban Dictionary. I don't want to know.

I had to look up DSMB too. Lack of experience, I guess.

Thankfully, there was a long winded SB discussion with definitions.

---------- Post added February 20th, 2014 at 11:24 AM ----------

Had to look it up. I would never be so crass.
Plus, I greatly value Christi's input- I just feel in this thread she's misinterpreting what I am saying. Or at least what I am meaning to say.

We have a club now....

I had to look up DSMB too. Lack of experience, I guess.

Thankfully, there was a long winded SB discussion with definitions.

I suspected as much. There's little that has NOT been discussed at some point. No need to re-hash it here, but this was the active thread, and it's something that has been on my mind.

We have a club now....

I feel like the club should get together to go diving. With our Galapagos trip this year though, we probably won't make Cozumel until next year.

I feel like the club should get together to go diving. With our Galapagos trip this year though, we probably won't make Cozumel until next year.

Well hurry back and join us for some more limited experiences!! I think you owe me a margarita? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom