DSS and Oxycheq Pics side by side

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience is with an Oxycheq 18# wing, but I'm thinking that it probably has the same slot design as the 30# version.

I don't know from your post what size DSS backplate you have. I have a DSS small-sized backplate, and the Oxycheq 18# wing fits on it just fine. If you have a different size of DSS plate, that might not hold, as I am not sure if all the different sizes have the same cam-band slot spacing. That said, I wouldn't think they would be *too* much different between sizes as the same DSS wing/slots fit on all the DSS plates.

My experience is with an Oxycheq 18# wing, but I'm thinking that it probably has the same slot design as the 30# version.

I don't know from your post what size DSS backplate you have. I have a DSS small-sized backplate, and the Oxycheq 18# wing fits on it just fine. If you have a different size of DSS plate, that might not hold, as I am not sure if all the different sizes have the same cam-band slot spacing. That said, I wouldn't think they would be *too* much different between sizes as the same DSS wing/slots fit on all the DSS plates.

Thanks for the info.
I believe the backplate center line slots spacing won't change for a specific brand, either small, medium or large. Anyway, I don't have yet the DSS backplate and Oxycheq wing. But these are my plans for a new setup to acquire, DSS medium SS backplate with Oxycheq #30 wing. Or maybe Zeagle SS backplate with a Zeagle wing setup. I'm still trying to weigh everything slowly, as I could not see and try to fit them personally. I already made a lot of mistake, buying the wrong thing. And I'm press to use it, unhappy. It's soooo difficult for me to return the items because of the international shipping fees. Shop-online to a number of countries is my only way to acquire. There is nothing to choose or desire here in our local dive shop.:shakehead:

seal

As I have said many many times before

I recommend that new BP&W users buy from a single source. That way you can be certain that you are getting goods that were designed to work together.

It's the same thing I'd recommend to a new PC buyer, get a "package" vs buying a motherboard, processor, video card, storage, power supply, tower etc. etc.

In addition many vendors (including DSS) offer substantial discounts for complete rigs vs buying a la carte.

Are all wings interchangeable with all plates?

For doubles that's pretty much the case.

For singles it may not always be (completely) true.

Tobin

blueseal,

Tobin is right on the money. You are better off going with a package from one manufacturer to start off. Unless you're like me and want to mix and match and likely lose a little money doing so to get the exact setup you "think" you want.

Anyway, to answer your question: The Medium DSS plate I have fits the Oxycheq Mach V extreme 30# wing. The holes for the sex bolts, and the cam band slots match up no problem. If the spacing of the bolts / cam slots on the other DSS plates is standard across the board, then I imagine the other sizes would fit as well.

You are correct it has the same slot design, I have both.

Hey guys,

I am new to the bp/w. I've done a lot of searches and a lot of reading. As I read more and more my ideal configuration kept changing. Finally I settled on a basic hog harness, a 30lb donut style wing, and a stainless steel backplate. I thought I was done, but then I did some more reading and I came to realize that for my typical diving, a 30lb wing would be overkill. My diving is south Florida / Keys / Florida Springs. Without a wetsuit I usually use 8lbs in salt water with an AL tank and standard BC. I think I could go 6lbs, but I like to evenly distribute the weight between my front integrated pockets and my rear trim pockets so I use 4 up front and 4 in back. In the springs I use 10lbs with an AL tank and a 5/4/3 wetsuit.

So I did some more reading to determine what my options were, and I settled on oxycheq or DSS. I liked the fact that DSS had different sized plates and that Tobin was an active participant on multiple scuba boards. His product seems well thought out. I also really liked the overall aesthetic of the oxycheq wings and the ruggedness (especially in the case of the extreme series).

My end state is to have a bare bones, simple rig, that does everything I need it to do and nothing I don't. I want it to be bulletproof (figuratively), non-proprietary (as much as possible), and of course extremely effective.

At the end of the day I bought 2 rigs. An Oxycheq 30# mach V extreme wing + oxycheq bp, and a DSS 17# Torus wing + DSS kydex backplate (their travel setup).

While not apples to apples, I took some side by side comparisons. The overall top down footprint of both wings is nearly identical. The medium DSS backplate seems to have the same footprint as the oxycheq standard plate as well. I also noticed the bend in the plate is not as pronounced in the DSS plate. Naturally, the DSS wing is much thinner when inflated. The 17# wing is barely there. Fit and finish seem to be similar, although the oxcyheq wing seems more robust (it is the extreme version and the price difference is fairly substantial). The oxycheq wing has a zipper, while the DSS does not.

If anyone feels like weighing in on which setup they recommend I go with, please feel free. Additionally, if anyone would like any additional pictures, just ask and I'll post them up.

The picture that shows the kydex backplate on top of the oxycheq wing, I have the backplate sitting on top of the oxycheq stainless backplate. They seem to be an approximate match dimensionally.

View attachment 103352View attachment 103353View attachment 103354View attachment 103355View attachment 103356View attachment 103357View attachment 103358

From your pictures it looks like your Oxy Extreme has a genuine corrugated hose, both my Oxys came with the faux hose as with your DSS wing. If so did your Extreme come with the "real" corrugated hose or did you switch it out? I ended up switching both my hoses for real corrugated hoses from DGX. I went with the 12" as I found the standard 16" too long. Cheers

What's the visible difference between "real" and "faux" corrugated hoses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the visible difference between "real" and "faux" corrugated hoses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First photo is "real" second is "faux". Hope this helps.

BC2750_Diagram-500.jpg

OWA-06-13.jpg

blueseal,

Anyway, to answer your question: The Medium DSS plate I have fits the Oxycheq Mach V extreme 30# wing. The holes for the sex bolts, and the cam band slots match up no problem. If the spacing of the bolts / cam slots on the other DSS plates is standard across the board, then I imagine the other sizes would fit as well.

Alright, thanks for the effort, acteg.

And thanks for the acknowledgment of Blue Sparkle, buddhasummer and so so....

seal

Weighing in late on this thread, but for what it might be worth:

The Oxy and DSS wings are so minimalist in terms of the way they trim out that I really think a 30# Mach V, for example, can serve almost all your single tank diving needs (assuming you're not carrying camera equipment to shoot a Hollywood feature film, or some such thing). Even in tropical conditons, where 30# of lift might be more than you need, that wing is so compact that it is not going to flop around. In fact, a 30# Mach V is so compact that I doubt most people are getting 30# of lift from it. Esp coupled with a flattish DSS plate, for example, the Mach V wing cannot fully inflate, esp if diving without an STA, but also even if you are diving with an STA. And because it's a donut wing, any tank that extends beyond the bottom of the wing will squeeze the wing up against your butt, so you will lose that area of the wing's buoyancy. In most instances, I would doubt a 30# Mach V could actually give you much more than 25# of lift, at most. I have a 40# Mach V coupled with a DSS SS plate (and the 40# Mach V is considerably more compact even than my Halcyon 40# Eclipse was). When I dive this Mach V with an 8" diameter LP95 with stuffed/puffed out trim weight pockets tucked against the STA, the wing cannot fully inflate. In this configuration, the 40# Mach V is probably giving me ~30# of lift--and it doesn't matter because 30# is still more than enough and the 40# wing is so minimalist that there is no issue of drag or flopping or tachoing. Having multiple wings that meet your lift needs precisely is great, if you can swing it. But if not, one of the minimalist wings with ~30# of lift will serve your diverse needs just fine--IMHO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom