Dual Strobe Question - Inon S-2000 x 2 or S-2000 x 1 + D-2000 x 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archiebald

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a Canon S95 with Canon WP-DC38. I am building up an Inon lighting system around it, currently I already have:
Grip Base, S-2000 strobe, 28LD Mount Base, Optical D Cable (i.e. not wireless) - More or less what you see in this picture (different case though)
GripBaseD4_Set_S2000_Wireless.jpg

I have used this on a few dives and have started to get comfortable with it. I am now adding an extension arm to get more position options on the strobe plus the UWL-H100 lens, and next I am going for a second strobe.

Question
Should I plan to go with a second S-2000 or should I go for the more powerful D-2000?

As far as I can see,

2 x S-2000 Pros
Balanced lighting more easy to achieve
Sightly cheaper solution
I am more familiar with its operation

1 x S-2000 + 1 x D-2000 Pros
More power for longer reach
More lighting options
Better coverage with the wide angle lens

Anyone with experience of using a mixed S-2000 / D-2000 setup care to comment?

There is no shame in having two different strobes, I hardly ever shoot two of the same and having different powers can make for interesting textures and shadows (of course you can do this with one strobe). I would get the most power I could if I were going to shoot lots of wide angle but for what I do, 2xs2000 are fine.
Bill

Agree with Bill, but more power in a flash is never regretted particularly if you upgrade in the future to DSLR. I have an Inon Z240 and I agree with the majority UW photographers here and on other sites they are excellent strobes with good power for macro or WA.

Buy as much output as you can afford you won't regret it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom