DUI DAYS @ Mermet Springs 7-8 October 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd:
Phooey on the camera Chris:D inquiring minds want to know if you got a drysuit!!!
You forgot that he is married. The answer is no. :D Looks like Pappy managed to make it out of the bar a bit early last night. Good to see you Pappy.

crpntr133:
You forgot that he is married. The answer is no. :D
He just hasn't learned how to operate yet:D It's really simple, just do the same thing women do. "Honey I'm home, and look what I got while I was out shopping today!!!" "And it was on sale!!! Such a good sale!!!" "I saved a lot of money buying this!!!" "It was such a good deal!!!":blinking: :blinking:

The answer is, "no." NOT from the wife, but when the time comes I
do have the discount coupons from DUI days, so I can tell her what
a GREAT deal I got! :D

It was a fantastic weekend event as usual and was much better organized than the previous year one at the Bonne Terre, MO.

The Mermet and DUI staff were very kind and listening to the divers needs.
Glen, PJ, Lilli, and Tom at the Mermet registration office were very friend and made us comfortable to enjoy the place. Randy at the fill station also did a great job for the air fill, not a short fill. The new restroom and locker were excellent amenity, too. Specially, it will be a great attraction to the female divers. If you have never been Mermet Springs, you definitely need to check out this place. Glen, you much have my camera and mask :)

The DUI CEO, Susan Long, was there and helping the divers. She must be very tired and couldn’t see her smile that much though. Quincy and Dave were all excellent to answer the questions. We wished to see Dan who made us to purchase the DUI suits. The participant dealer, Bob at Odyssey Scuba and Travel, never stopped smiling and looked have a good attitude.

The event wasn’t crowded that we were told from the board. We were able to try the suits and undergarments whatever we prefer. There were many guiding staffs on the water for the event participants. YOU CAN’T DIVE ALONE WITHOUT HAVING A DRY SUIT CERTIFICATION WITH the DUI DEMO EQUIPMENT. LOL~~~ When in Rome, do as the Romans do! However, it turned out be a good for us because it was the first time to dive there, so we needed some guide and it was free ^-^ The first dive was 55 min and we could look through all interesting points including the 727 airplane. However, we had an issue over the dry suit use. The guider, instructor, kept asking us to use a dry suit as a primary buoyancy device, not a BCD (BP/W), at the platform. So, we were surface up and explained that we haven’t used the dry suit as a primary buoyancy device and only inflate the air not to be squeezed. He didn’t seem to accept my method. Other than that, he was a good diver and guider. I tried CLX 450 with 400g thinsualte that I sold already. Man, it was the tough and heavy suit. I felt like a body builder who can’t cross the arm.

For the second dives, I have tired FLX50/50. LOL, the bottom was so tight like a leggings. The DUI staff said, “That is what it is.” The thing kept shouting the more space over the crotch strap :wink: We asked the guider for diving in the coldest place to check out the undergarment performance, not necessary deep (my GF doesn’t wanted to be deep without any primary light source because vis wasn’t good due to the event). We dove near by the springs that water comes in. The temperature at 74ft was 51 F. My GF mentioned DUI 400g was a little bit warmer than her used Weezle extreme plus, but the motion on DUI was a relatively restrictive to the soft Weezle materials. I fully agreed with her point. Strangely, I also felt the 400g thinsulate was a little bit warmer than my Weezle extreme plus, too. Maybe, like we said, it was because we only used to inflate the air not to be squzzed (Weezle needs a lot of air). The warmness between the undergarments didn’t compromise the flexibility, so it was a right decision to sell my previous 400g thinsulate and get the Weezle for us (Don’t start the debate on the deflate valve on the Weezle here).

We met our board members, Chris and Kenny. Two Kentuckians are the fantastic buddy group and have dived almost every weekend at Joe’s. They were all dry suit certified divers when we met. So, they could dive without having interruption. LOL~~ It was the great third dive with Kenny. Well, we saw the spoonbill only in three foot away distance. We almost touched it. It was another great dive. We ended up the dive short due to our air shortage, but Kenny left almost 1700 psi. LOL~~ He didn’t seem like breathing that much in underwater. We missed the chance to dive with Chris again.

On the fourth dive, we checked out the Sea life DC500 camera that was also their Demo day. However, we didn’t enjoy the camera at all due to the lack of knowledge. The strobe light never flashed out because the small plastic cover didn’t block the camera flash. All pictures were the simple black and black pictures. They should let us know it during the orientation.

As you may know, Metropolis is located in 15 mile south of Mermet Springs. This city is known as a Superman city. If you are a superman mania, it is worth to be there.

Mermet Springs

DSCN3320.JPG

Dock.JPG

Administration office
Registration%20Office.JPG

Restroom and Locker

URL]

http://home.insightbb.com/~cavediver/images/Locker & Restroom.JPG
Tank fill station

Randy%20@%20Fill%20Station.JPG

DUI tent

DSCN3332.JPG