DUI Polartec PowerStretch 300 Drysuit Undergarment - Is this enough

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gloveboxtech

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello All,

I purchase a DUI Polartec PowerStretch 300 Drysuit Undergarment to go under my Pinnacle Evolution 2 Drysuit. Is this undergarment enough warmth for diving in South California water temps around 45-65 degrees depending on the time of year? Should I wear a first layer under it to help with the sweat or will this undergarment alone do the trick? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

You'll probably need to experiment a bit with adding some layers. 45-65 is quite a temperature range. In my opinion every 5 degrees is significant. If you add a DUI Polartech vest I'd bet you'd be pretty good down to the upper 40's.

You might also want to try adding a Cabela's polartech sweatshirt but your arms might get a little bulky.

You'll want to wear a pair of synthetic longjohns and shirt underneath as a wicking layer. I like UnderArmor cold gear.

Polypro underwear worn beneath the drysuit undergarment wicks sweat away from the skin, which is a good thing.

In terms of drysuit undergarments, what's good for you might be too much or too little for someone else. Also, you may want to wear more or less based on water temp conditions or dive profile. It's very much a personal trial-and-error thing. Start off with just polypro + Powerstretch 300. If that's not warm enough, then increase the number of layers.

I wear a DUI Polartec PowerStretch 300 Drysuit Undergarment with my DUI TLS350 year round up here in the Seattle area. I've had it in water temps from 43 to 57 degrees F. It's always kept me warm.

Ron

Here's another vote for adding a wicking layer of polypropylene or similar synthetic under your main garment.

In addition to improving the wicking effect and warmth, the wicking layer will reduce the need to launder the main garment, keeping it in better shape.

As was mentioned, that combination of wicking layer and fleece is only a reasonable starting point until experience tells you how much thermal protection you need personally. You'll find there are many variables that affect your personal thermal needs, far too many for others, including myself, to guess at.... :D

Dave C

Ditto to what dave 4868 said on not wanting to launder the 300. Laundering slowly kills loft. Loft keeps you warm.
I wear a base layer of any kind of polypropylene or synthetic to absorb sweat and pass off water vapor.
I dive 300 DUI and their plus 5 vest in all conditions 34 degrees to whatever our northern Ohio max temps get to. The drysuit is a DUI TLS350.
Again, as others have said , thermal comfort is very personal and needs to be experimented with to find what works for you.

Hello all,
i really appreciate the feedback from everyone. But, i have one more question. You guys suggested polypropylene under the polartec. Which is what i am going to do but, what thickness of the polypropylene do you all suggest? I have found light, medium and heavy.
Thank you,

Here's the undershirt I was talking about. Under Armour | Men's UA ColdGear Fitted Crew | 1215484 | $49.99

I just wear longjohn bottoms that I wear for skiing or hunting, so they're pretty thin.

edit. Actually my shirt doesn't have the odor block, I thought this one looked like it cost a bit more than what I paid. But, the odor block is probably a good idea - synthetic undershirts start to stink pretty quickly.

I had that suit for a month and could not reach my valves so it's long gone. At that time I used fourthelement artic top and bottom. Ran this combo down to 38 for one hour plus. Then switched to a DUI TLS with PS300 with temps down to 34 for and hour plus without any issues. IMHO the PS300 jumpsuit is much warmer then the artic.

I think it comes down to how much meat you have on your bones and how you deal with the cold. Hope I helped! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom