Dumb Laws Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Portland, Oregon, there is a City Ordinance stating that it is Illegal to Whistle under water.

In Klamath Falls, Oregon, there is a City Ordinance stating that it is Illegal to knock the head off of a snake, with a cane or a stick, while walking down the sidewalk.

In Oregon, (as I'm sure it still is in many States,) "Cattle Rustling" is still on the books. (As it should be!)

Donnie

In Portland, Oregon, there is a City Ordinance stating that it is Illegal to Whistle under water.
Maybe a Darwin nominee drowned while trying?? Maybe someone "dared" another to try, causing the second person to drown?

In Klamath Falls, Oregon, there is a City Ordinance stating that it is Illegal to knock the head off of a snake, with a cane or a stick, while walking down the sidewalk.
Can you shoot the snake? Can you legally use a sword?

Also, it says "while walking down the sidewalk", does this town only have ONE sidewalk???

Maybe a Darwin nominee drowned while trying?? Maybe someone "dared" another to try, causing the second person to drown?

I really don't know how this one got on the books. Obviously... someone tried it and the City of Portland felt it necessary to put a stop to such conduct!

Can you shoot the snake? Can you legally use a sword?

Also, it says "while walking down the sidewalk", does this town only have ONE sidewalk???

As for the reason THIS particular law made its way to the books... this is what I was told.

When the City of Klamath Falls was very young it was built down by the water. (At the time... I don't know if it was considered a "River" or "Marsh". Today... it would be considered a "Marsh.")

During this time, the sidewalk was more of a "Boardwalk"... similar to a deck. The "sidewalk" was very close to the reeds of the water, and snakes would crawl through the slats of the boardwalk and sun themselves on the wooden sidewalk.

It was common to see snakes sticking their heads up through the boards, and the local kids would come along with sticks and take a sort of "Modified Golf Swing" at the snakes and knock their heads off! This seemed to be great entertainment for the kids as well as a few adults who sported walking canes.

The stench of the rotting, headless, snakes became so great that it created a "public outcry" and thus the good clean fun of "Knocking the Heads off of Snakes" was frowned upon by the general populace. Eventually... a City Ordinance was created to curb such unruly conduct.

At least... this is what I was told by a County Officer at the Land Use Department.

Donnie

In Singapore **** *** is against the law if it doesn't lead to ***.This from a country that legalises prostitution and have designated red light areas.

In Oxford, OH, a house of more than four unmarried women is considered a brothel. This is why there are still no Sorority houses at Miami University.

FYI, Sororities have suite in the dorms, but no sleeping spaces.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom