Dumb Newbie Question About Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the inserts to hold open my gloves, dive boots, or hood when they're wet. It allows better air flow and helps them dry faster.

That is actually an excellent use for them!!! Hmmm, where did I put those plastic thingy????

Hello all. I'm new to diving and I just bought fins and a mask online for my wife and myself. The fins have a hard plastic insert inside the foot. Is this supposed to stay in the foot or come out? It seems like it would be a personal preference thing based on fit but my wife thinks they should come out. Any help settling this domestic dispute would be much appreciated.

Like in ANY domestic dispute, SHE WINS......(they come out---only use for storage)

Remember, there are no dumb questions, only dumb answers. A good diver is always learning.

No, but it is probably dumb to argue with one's wife. :no:

The inserts also make great sock hangars.

Yo, dudes - Enough with the estrogen bashing, I feel like I'm drowning in testosterone here. Let's remember all their redeeming qualities, ya know, the qualities that made ya marry them. :wink:

Hey, you edited your post. Did she make you do it?

In the interest of good marital relationships - thought i better do it first :)

They are to come out. They prevent the foot pockets from developing "memory" when crushed during storage. Some fins come with hollow blocks that completely fill the foot pocket making it impossible to put your foot in when they are in place. The important thing (but not absolutely critical) is to not throw those inserts away as they are intended to extend the life of your fins as I was told.

Back
Top Bottom