Dumbest Thing You Have Done...

How many times have you broken gear doing something stupid?

• Never

Votes: 135 58.7%
  • 1 time

Votes: 44 19.1%
  • 2 - 3 times

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • 4 or more times

Votes: 20 8.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have caught myself making the following mistakes:

-- Turning air on enough to breathe fine, but not the all-the-way-on-
and-quarter-turn-back thing
-- Not checking my Spare Air's little pop-out pressure indicator
-- Not checking my computer frequently enough

I wasn't paying attention yesterday and pulled a classic - Trying to take off 1st stage without shutting my tank off (Whoosh)

Forgot to put the plug in the boat...again. 4th of July with the whole world to witness. I hope this is the dumbest for me, but I fear others could name some better ones.

Which one to share????

Well, there is the time I hooked my weight belt buckle on the ladder dumping 26 pounds of weight on the "Prince Albert" in Roatan. Poor DM volunteered to retrieve it and had to fin back up with her wing fully inflated. I think the belt weighed more than she did. (Now I use the intedrated pockets on my BC.

Or there is the time I got "lost" in about 5' vis and pulled out my trusty compass to navigate back. I was quite proud of myself only to realise I hadn't taken a bearing before my descent. Had no clue which way to go. Was just ready to ascend when my buddy tugged my fin and I was "found." Of course it was my wife who now harps... stop and ask directions. :)

Then there was the time......

Lets see.... two days ago on my first spear fishing trip I was so excited to get my first fish I just wonted to show it off (and p-off the people fishing on the jetty with rod and reel :). It was a lovely 22" flounder, but any way I forgot that my spear gun was not lanyard to a D-ring like every thing else and just surfaced and started to head for sure. Need less to say about half way in I was like oh... were is my spear gun. Ya... it was about 50 feet behind me in thank God only 8 feet of water

uhhh, I went light on weight thinking "its a deep wreck, won't matter". Then I drifted off from the ascent line to do my stop, saw that I was in a little deco, was too light and struggled to stay negative, could not make it back to the line because upcurrent. made me nervous enough, I will never make that mistake again. It slipped my mind that I had blown off the 2#'s I could't find on the boat. very poor form...never confessed to anyone.

catherine96821:
...... very poor form...never confessed to anyone.

It's a good thing you're keeping that kind of thing quiet :wink:

Thats the good part of solo--no eye witnesses. seriously, I rattled my cage a bit.

Catherine: Yeah I can see how that would be a nasty situation to be in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom