Dumbest things you've seen a newbie diver do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A newbie diver on a drift dive in Cozumel went in with a broken depth gauge. She then proceeded to start following a sea turtle, not paying attention do depth. I, also a newbie, chased her down into the current and caught her at ~115ft. And proceeded to pull her back up to the group @ around 60ft. This of course was well beyond my certification as OW, but I was her buddy and she happened to be my wife. We had a "discussion" about paying attention to the group and not getting caught up following sea life. And about checking equipment. The gauge was not functioning at all, however, she should have noticed right away (which I suspect she did) and stopped rather than going along relying on staying with the group.

Dumb things I've seen newbies done:

1. TURNED OFF MY DAMN TANK VALVE WHEN I ASKED FOR VALVE CHECK!!!

2. Grab speargun or camera right after getting the C-card and went fish hunting.

Because he swung rather than dropped it over his head and ended up throwing it through the side window of the car!

I sure hope the window was open

An amusing story but lessons to be learned. My fiancee and I were new to shorediving still inexperienced and we had not dove in a year or so. There was a dive shop at our hotel and shoredove right there. Our first dive went as follows. We were somewhat nervous. We started setting our rented rigs up and I had a rough time remembering the reg configurations and routing. Well we got rigged up and got down to the water. We turned around and the attendant was bringing our weight belts that we forgot. Finally we get in the water and get out to 10 feet or so and signaled to go down. I left my air out and down I go but my buddie was still up and was not descending. I go back up to see what was wrong Well first she was underweighted and somehow by this time her tank slipped out of the cam strap and was sticking straight up in the air. I laugh at this scene every timeI think about it. I tried to get it back down but couldn't. The wind and current was pretty strong and took us 200 yards or so down the beach by this time. We came into shore. It was 90 degrees or so, I had to carry her tank, with a 3mm wetsuit on. I got half nausious from all this. Well we got back and said we would maybe be back. We took a rest and I was determined to whip this. Back down we go. Of course by now (the second attempt) I am an expert diver. Mike Nelson himself. We get rigged smoothly with no problems weight belts and all. Down to the water we go. Now instead of going to deeper water to put on our fins we did it in about 2-3 feet. Of course being an expert by now I got mine right on but my "buddie" floundered some. I was raring to go and looked down at her struggling low in the water. Her lovely face looked up at me and I know what she was thinking. (It ain't pretty).
As I was proudly standing there waiting I fell flat on my back. I looked like a flipped over box turtle trying to right itself. To this day I do not know how I fell but I believe the hand of God himself pushed me down. This is one of the funniest things that ever happened to me and I am laughing right now. We laugh at this so often. Anyhow we dove and have done great ever since. We are both great swimmers and are very good divers and rest assured this taught us great lessons.

In summary, make sure you know exactly what you are doing before you dive and go over everything involved with the dive. Especially after a long layoff if you are new.

I wrote this here because I won't get plastered by posters here.

Trusting others for my well being. I learned you must ultimately trust yourself. You are responsible for yourself. I prepare to dive with buddies by being as competent diver that I can be. The more prepared and competent I am the better resource for my dive buddy. I evaluate new dive buddies (how many dives, when, I can tell a lot on how they get ready for the dive). Safety first always. I plan not just the dive but the exit. Conditions air reserve etc.

I have trusted Instructors, Dive Masters, and Advanced Divers with 100's of dives. I have been over weighted by instructors, and left on the surface by others at night. I have been the rescue diver more than once. If I dive with a total newly certified diver I know they are going to burn air fast and will make mistakes so I plan for that and have a short and safe dive. Ultimately we are totally responsible for our own safety and well being.

I am surprised to read about divers who don't check their gages. I always check my gages regularly. It is a no brainer. No air and you die. Real simple.

The book "Diver Down" is an excellent resource for learning from others mistakes.

Well I went on a boat with some people on a cruise ship with me. Two of the divers were husband and wife. Well I watched as he suited his gear up and then suited hers. When it came time to get in she sat with a puzzled face and told him to go ahead and she would be right behind him. So away he goes and plops into the water off the boat. He looks back and shes standing on the back of the boat. She yells for him to go under "Sweetie Ill be right there" so away he goes.

When she sees him submerge she turns around and sits down and removes all of her gear saying I aint diving in that current (In cozumel) When he returns he asked where she went she said she could not equalize and returned to the surface. He beleived it even though her bathing suit was dry and her hair was bone dry!

I sure hope the window was open

It was after the tank went through it I bet!

My husband dons his bcd and tank this way all the time. has since he started diving. I must admit even tho I am used to it.. I worry he will move the wrong way and hit his head or hurt his back:idk: He's been doing it long before I cam along so I just keep my mouth shut:shocked2: yep women/wives are capable of that sometimes:rofl3::rofl3:

It was after the tank went through it I bet!

My husband dons his bcd and tank this way all the time. has since he started diving. I must admit even tho I am used to it.. I worry he will move the wrong way and hit his head or hurt his back:idk:

Donning a rig in this manner is very easy to do with practice and you can avoid back injury by bending your knees, and not bending over, and letting the rig slide over your shoulders and gently onto your back. It works above and below the surface and it's much less likely that you'll get your arm in between a hose or twist a BCD strap as you might when you slip your arm in through the usual "sideways" method.

Plus it looks very impressive.

However on a final note most boat captains are not happy if you do it on their boats!

Climbing back up the ladder with a loaded speargun on a chartered boat.
As far as being bungeed in & trying to take the boat diving, how 'bout not being bungeed at all and having your gear fall on the deck....not necessarily a newb mistake
as it happens to everyone...well almost

Back
Top Bottom