Dumbest things you've seen a newbie diver do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hang on, some instructors think you shouldn't inflate your BC prior to entry? I would be interested in reading that thread.

*attempts to not hijack this thread*

I've done numerous entries where the goal is hit the water and sink like a stone, especially when live boating with a surface current. It's not really uncommon for certain dives.

I've done numerous entries where the goal is hit the water and sink like a stone, especially when live boating with a surface current. It's not really uncommon for certain dives.

Agreed!

Let's keep in mind where we are folks ... it's probably not a good idea to encourage new divers to try that type of entry until they've got a few dives under their weightbelt ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A couple of weeks ago, my son (who is a VERY experienced diver) signalled to go down and begin the dive and when I hesitated he asked what was wrong (after all he has MORE experience) I then pointed out he wasn't wearing his mask!

He's 25 and he accuses ME of having "seniors moments".

Bob

Let's keep in mind where we are folks ... it's probably not a good idea to encourage new divers to try that type of entry until they've got a few dives under their weightbelt ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

...was the point I made & remade, ad nauseum, on that thread - that new divers should put enough air in their b.c.d. prior to entry, as a safety precaution. I still do it regularly out of personal choice; I like to turn & face the deck controller ( D.M., Captain - whomever is in charge ) to signal all is well prior to l.s. There are other times where, as C.D. stated, the dive calls for an immediate decent, and I inform the controller as such.

I feel this practice to be very germain to both the new folks here, & us older lads who are starting to have their "senior's moments". A little extra precaution just might be the trick that get's you back to the boat on another day, for another dive.

Regards,
DSD

Cool, thanks for the explanation guys. I promise not to do anything reckless with the information :p

Fortunately, I haven't had any really stupid dive moments yet. On one of my most recent dives, though, I forgot that I had my mask hanging on one arm, and spent a minute fiddling with one of my fins, only to realize that my mask had floated off of my arm in the process. Luckily it had not gotten too far away.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I completely agree. A few years ago I was on a boat in Fiji. A few of my companions were discussing negative entries. Unknown to them, one of the other passengers decided to try this on his own. Once he jumped in with out inflating his bcd, he did indeed start sinking like a rock. When he tried to take a breath he realized that his air was not turned on.

Fortunately for him, he was a very strong kicker and was able to struggle to the surface. In his moment of panic, he did not think to drop his weights. This is how tragic accidents may happen. He was very lucky.

Fortunately, I haven't had any really stupid dive moments yet. On one of my most recent dives, though, I forgot that I had my mask hanging on one arm, and spent a minute fiddling with one of my fins, only to realize that my mask had floated off of my arm in the process. Luckily it had not gotten too far away.

Okay, I did a similar thing with a camera and strobe! Never did recover my photography equipment! That was how I learned to attach it to me with clips and lanyards, so that if I get distracted and let go, I still have my expensive stuff:)

Back
Top Bottom