Dumbest things you've seen a newbie diver do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know a diver that during his open water certificaton knew he had to (1) perform mask clearing after removing his mask and also (2) perform regulator recovery. This was done in NY in late November-cold water. So he removed his mask and pulled the regulator out of his mouth-but at the same time. That diver was me.

Good Lord, I had the opposite happen. The first time I went diving with my camera (just a P&S in a case) I had it on a clip around my neck. I strided off the boat and damn near knocked myself out as I forgot (actually thought it was OK to have it hang loose) and had it come back on me. Thank goodness I had my reg in otherwise I think I may have chipped a tooth.

My friend was laughing so hard she just jumped in while laughing and no reg. After the 4 minute coughing fit I was the one laughing.

I'd like to nominate myself for the "Dumbest Newbie" award. 10 minutes into a recent boat dive, I thought I'd check my SPG and was amazed to find it wasn't where I normally clip it, or floating behind me. Then I realised I was feeling a hard line down my back, under my BC. I'd managed to put my gear on with the SPG/computer between my back and my BCD. I was able to work it around just enough to see it, and probably used a fair bit of air in the process. All I can say is, I won't make that mistake again (and if I do I don't deserve to dive).

This is a great example of why you want to do a buddy check each and every dive, BEFORE you get in the water:) Sometimes, especially when I am on a boat, it is not convenient to do an actual BUDDY check. So I always perform one on myself, including breathing through my reg while watching my spg or computer. Amazing how many times I find that something is not set up quite right. Better to find out while still ON the boat:)

As a side note: If I let making mistakes stop me from diving...I would have had to quit long ago:) I tell my students that they will have a difficult time making a mistake that I have not made myself at least once:)

I'd like to nominate myself for the "Dumbest Newbie" award. 10 minutes into a recent boat dive, I thought I'd check my SPG and was amazed to find it wasn't where I normally clip it, or floating behind me. Then I realised I was feeling a hard line down my back, under my BC. I'd managed to put my gear on with the SPG/computer between my back and my BCD. I was able to work it around just enough to see it, and probably used a fair bit of air in the process. All I can say is, I won't make that mistake again (and if I do I don't deserve to dive).

How about this version...hubby and I were doing a night dive buddied with a tech diver at the local quarry. Hubby and I did our usual check but the buddy check with the tech diver in dim light wasn't good enough plus we made the mistake of taking his word for it when he said he was good. Got in water on dive and tech diver indicated a problem shortly after we descended. We discovered his SPG in a position similar to yours. We couldn't get it undone easily thanks to his harness being tight and my dry glove rings being large and inflexible plus not being able to see it well with all the black. We finally pressed him into a tree underwater to wrangle the thing free. It looked like an underwater mugging LOL! He only knew he was holding onto that tree for dear life while we manhandled him. Once the gauge was properly stowed we continued the dive.
Ber

As a soon to be certified OW diver, I spent an entire day reading this post. I enjoyed the humor and understood the seriousness at the same time. I acknowledge that every time I hit the water, my life is relying on my own training, skills, and abilities. Your stories have allowed me a few checklists to not only avoid embarassment, but dangerous situations as well.

I appreciate your time to put these tales, humorous and tragic, together. Thank you, and I'm sure I'll eventually have some to share as well.

I know a diver that during his open water certificaton knew he had to (1) perform mask clearing after removing his mask and also (2) perform regulator recovery. This was done in NY in late November-cold water. So he removed his mask and pulled the regulator out of his mouth-but at the same time. That diver was me.

Hahaha....look back through these pages and you will see that I posted how I had done the EXACT same thing on my OW checkout dive. I thought I was about the only person that ever pulled that stunt. Thank you!!! I am not alone, now!

On a dive trip to Bimini we had two separate divers get in the water with out their fins on.

My favorite was watching a vacation diver with a rental shortie. He couldn't get the zipper started once he had the thing on. So instead of taking the instructor's suggestion of taking it off, getting the zipper started, and then pulling it over his thighs, he did an entire dive with the zipper open and his weight belt used as a belt to cinch the thing closed. The zipper went from one shoulder to the bottom of one of the legs. Second dive he gave up and went in his swim trunks.

He said he'd been certified for years.

On my first dive trip (this past weekend) my buddy thought it'd be a good idea to try to put his hood on at roughly 25 feet... So he, without warning, just handed me his mask and snorkel... Of course he then lost control of his buoyancy and rocketed to the surface, leaving me with no choice but to ascend and take the stuff to him. I was pretty hot to say the least.

On a dive trip to Bimini we had two separate divers get in the water with out their fins on.

Happened to me at Key Largo. I sat down on transom and staff brought me my BP/w and helped me put it on. When I was done instead of grabbing fins and putting them on I stood up and jumped in. Turned around and signaled OK still not realizing I don't have fins on. I deflated my wing and as soon as I was under the surface I turned horizontally and at around 15ft (it was 30ft max reef dive with low current) started to frog kick. Then I've realized that I don't have fins. Started laughing while I was ascending to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom