Dumped on by Diving Companies Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you can gets parts for that FORD ..... you don't see many on the roads these days but there are lots of vintage parts places to get what you need. My point was that diving companies are not supporting their loyal customers .... when you buyout or merge into a new company then you still should support your products. I'm surprise that a bunch of Dacor owners haven't voiced more concern about their beloved products. I purchase a Pacer 360 in 2001 for my wife. That was the regulator she liked and being married to a "cacun" I knew better than to disagree with her. Dacor made a lot of good equipment over the last 50 years. Not too happy with some of their new designs but that's me. Not too crazy about some on SCUBAPRO new products either. I own a Mark 10 and unless something major happens I will be diving with it for another 20 years. I own an Air2 but don't use it much. I also think the Mark 7 was a piece of junk ..................

It's a MK5, works gr8 and the importer here in Israel never had problems getting parts for it or for the two MK10 that I own. (nor for the BA second stages)

scubapro50:
you can gets parts for that FORD.

Not from Ford. And, for those who don't know, Sears still offers a lifetime replacement warranty for their hand tools. They simply do not market Whitworth tools any more.

No sane business will lose money inventorying parts forever. They won't continue to make new parts when there is not a market. A small number of customers who hang on to old equipment is not a market. It is not even a question of customer service. There are limits.

I own three (3) USD Conshelf regulators and I like them a lot. However, I know that I will replace them eventually. For that matter, I would still dive my first regulator, a Voit Swimaster Polaris II, if I could get it properly serviced.

Not everything is great with Scubapro either :wink:
When the battery in my Uwatec Aladin X Nitrox computer dies, they will not replace the battery anymore. I will have to buy a new computer. They will offer me a decent price to upgrade to the Uwatec Aladin Z but will NOT replace the battery even if the computer is just fine.
Strange enough, as far as I know, this came up after Uwatec was bought up by Scubapro.

What is most upsetting about this whole argument is that parts continue to be proprietary to a particular manufacturer or model and access to those parts is limited to authorized dealers. At least with car parts you can buy them from any source you want- at the dealer, at AutoZone, or JC Whitney. There are even aftermarket sources for sheet metal which is about as proprietary as auto parts get. Rather than being upset that you can't get parts for your older stuff you should be asking why you also can't get parts for your newer stuff either.

aquaoren:
Not everything is great with Scubapro either :wink:
When the battery in my Uwatec Aladin X Nitrox computer dies, they will not replace the battery anymore. I will have to buy a new computer. They will offer me a decent price to upgrade to the Uwatec Aladin Z but will NOT replace the battery even if the computer is just fine.
Strange enough, as far as I know, this came up after Uwatec was bought up by Scubapro.

Just curious Oren ... is the Aladin X one of the computers that Uwatec had recalled due to software issues?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

it would be easy to list numorous examples of how common this is in every industry. if you feel bad about not getting your regulators serviced, imagine how many employees lose their jobs everytime there is a merger or aquisition. this is a fact of life everyone should just get used to. my father would always tell me as a child when i pointed out an injustice,"son lifes not fair, just get used to it." kinda harsh but i thank him for it. to this day i am a happier person than most because of it. by the way, yes i do own a pacer so i understand the argument. im over it and will put the reg next to my voit swimmaster.

scubapro50:
I also think the Mark 7 was a piece of junk ..................

So, can you expand on your opinion of the Mk7? What about it makes it "junk"? I ask because I dove one yesterday, for the first time in OW, and enjoyed it - especially when it hit 400 psi. I had warned my buddy but he still was not ready. I had only done a cursory sevice before the dive and was going to do a more thorough service tonight to get it ready for nitrox. But I hate to waste the o-rings if it is junk. It would make an interesting paperweight.

I thought SP had a pollicy where they built al there regs to be retrofittable for new mods.

Babar

babar:
I thought SP had a pollicy where they built al there regs to be retrofittable for new mods.

Babar
Retrofit in what way? Generally, first and second stages would be interchangable, assuming port threads were common but I can't envision a specific piece being interchangable. The only "policy" I've been able to determine SP to have is to ignore the diving public as a consumer base and market directly to and for the benefit of their retailers.

Back
Top Bottom