Dumped on by Diving Companies Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its true what a number of messages said - Why Get Upset? - just don't buy that brand again. Companies used to count on customer loyalty - build a good product, provide good service and the customer will come back. I don't think they care anymore. Not all anyway. Aqualung, US divers seem to still care. But as this thread started out talking about Dacor-mares thats another story. I've owned 3 complete single hose reg. set ups, 360, (2) 960's, started diving with a US Divers 2 hose. The 960's I had serviced yearly and now it looks like that won't be an option. So instead of getting upset, chalked it up to the system we live in and bought a new set of regs that looks like will provide service for a while to come. But! I refuse to buy Mares Dacor products.
Just my 2 Cents.
Montyb

scubapro50:
As most of you have heard DACOR is not longer supporting their Pacer line of equipment. Mares did the same thing by not supporting equipment made by one of their past names (VOIT, SWIMASTER). AQUALUNG no longer makes parts for doublehose and has also announce they will stop supporting some of their early singlehose designs. Now a lot of this stuff was made with "lifetime warrenties" which I took to mean that parts will still be made available to fix the stuff. John Davidson was a diver and ran his company that way. There are 1/4 million regurators out there that people are still using that don't need to be replaced. Too bad the new owners don't see that. SCUBAPRO still has a policy to fix, repair or supply parts to any original owner of any SCUBAPRO regulator. I have already heard that some divers are not buying DACOR/MARES because if they won't support their stuff made just a few years ago then why should we trust them in the future. Buy that $500 regulator now and in 10 years will you be able to fine parts.

In addition to the fact that I think you are taking issue with something that is trivial (to me).....

"Lifetime" can easily mean economic lifetime....The economic lifetime of a carpet is approx. 5 years, but that doesn't mean it won't look good after ten...

Merely because a reg works after twenty years doesn't mean that its econimic lifetime hasn't passed many years ago...

iain/hsm:
Oh Bugg*8r Im a PADI open water diver Iv'e done only 14 posts and already I'm getting a rollocking from the moderator no less!!! Maybe something I said?

Actually, you got "told" by a person who happens to be a mod...He wasn't telling you "as a mod"...

scubasean:
"Lifetime" can easily mean economic lifetime....The economic lifetime of a carpet is approx. 5 years, but that doesn't mean it won't look good after ten...

Merely because a reg works after twenty years doesn't mean that its econimic lifetime hasn't passed many years ago...

Whose economics are you talking about? I'm diving 20 year old regs. Thankfully, they are Scubapros so the same parts that go into their more modern regs also work in my older systems. If they were Dacor, I'd be pissed if their economics had an adverse impact on my economics. I'm sure it would effect my future purchases.

scubasean:
Actually, you got "told" by a person who happens to be a mod...He wasn't telling you "as a mod"...

:eyebrow: and I lied about the PADI bit. Come on guys lighten up. The pic should have given you the clue.
2x Mark 15's 2xSDDE 1xCDBA more Scubapro and hose than you can shake a stick at! all in a pic with a sign dated todays date ..........it was a Joke!! :wink:

iain/hsm:
:eyebrow: and I lied about the PADI bit. Come on guys lighten up. The pic should have given you the clue.
2x Mark 15's 2xSDDE 1xCDBA more Scubapro and hose than you can shake a stick at! all in a pic with a sign dated todays date ..........it was a Joke!! :wink:

Ahhh! OK, English humor. Or humour with an explanation. :42:

I'd be alot less pissed about getting screwed by Dacor/Mares if I could get some sort of a response from them. Repeated tries to contact the company have failed. Even a "f-off and die" from them would be better. If someone had a legitimate prob. from one of their newer products they'd be just as screwed as I am.

can we all say "CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT " ? If the original company "DACOR" lifetime warrenty was an inference that parts would be continued to be supplied for those products then Mares has the duty to keep it.One feature of Dacor was it was run by divers for divers. And guys ..... it shouldn't cost much to keep a few spare parts around the company. With as many Dacor regulators still out there it's not like that 1938 Ford. There are thousands and thousands of good Dacor Pacer regulators still in service that should be maintained. Also let me point out that all Dacor regulators are not covered under this promise. Only the regulators manfuctured in the late 70's. 80's and 90's are covered. the management of Mares don't give a "damn". They are in it for as much money they can make now and forceing customers to purchase new equipment is much more profitable than fixing the old stuff .

yes .... if they are still in business. That was one of the reasons to buy your tank from them. Besides it helps the shop by getting customers back in thru the front doors. Chances are you will buy something there while you are waiting to get your tanks filled. The shop I worked for sold alot of stuff to people who just wanted their free refill. So we gave away a few air fills ... big deal ..... especially if you upgraded that customer to a new computer or sold him on a trip we were running.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom