Dumped on by Diving Companies Again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weekender:
it would be easy to list numorous examples of how common this is in every industry. if you feel bad about not getting your regulators serviced, imagine how many employees lose their jobs everytime there is a merger or aquisition. this is a fact of life everyone should just get used to. my father would always tell me as a child when i pointed out an injustice,"son lifes not fair, just get used to it." kinda harsh but i thank him for it. to this day i am a happier person than most because of it. by the way, yes i do own a pacer so i understand the argument. im over it and will put the reg next to my voit swimmaster.

I think an injustice should be pointed out every time, the trick is to know when to let it go.

The pinging drives me crazy for one thing. The 1st stag housing is big and bulky. Scubapro dropped the design after a few years but continued with the mk2 and mk5/10/15/ect line. The Mk 7 never met Scubapro's sales expetitions. They also tend to require more upkeep and maintanence over time. Breathing with it is OK but I really like my MK10 over it .......... better durability and alot quieter.

NWGratefulDiver:
Just curious Oren ... is the Aladin X one of the computers that Uwatec had recalled due to software issues?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
They really had problems with the X Nitrox but only from the first production year nin 1995. The following years had an upgrade of the software. At least I hope they did :wink:

Come off it AQUALUNG twin hose!!!! these parts are over a quarter of a century old now, time to move on and let them take pride and place in diving history collections. :wink:

SCUBAPRO has a policy to fix, maybe because they still use the same old internals!!

babar:
I thought SP had a pollicy where they built al there regs to be retrofittable for new mods.

Babar
SP does not have a policy to make ALL their regs retrofittable to new models, but they have traditionally tried incorporate a more evolutionary design approach where the internal parts of new designs can be retrofitted into older designs.

For example a late 60's vintage "Adjustable" second stage can be upgraded to the latest "Balanced Adjustable" configuration which utilizes the same S-wing poppet assembly as the curretn G250 and S600. So after 35 years, the "Adjustable" second stage can not only be servviced but can offer performance that is miuch improved since it was built and is on par with current SP second stages.

Same with the Mk 10. Older Mk 10's can be upgraded both externally and internally. The Mk 10 was upgraded to use concave seats to improve flow rate and this improvement is incorporated into all Mk 10's that come in for annual service. The Mk 10 PLus was developed to use a higher flow piston in addition to the concave seat and any Mk 10 can be upgraded to MK 10 Plus status for very little money.

Given a choice between buying Dacor/Mares or Scubapro, there is no question which is the smarter and safer way to go if you plan on hanging around the sport for any lenght of time.

iain/hsm:
SCUBAPRO has a policy to fix, maybe because they still use the same old internals!!
Well you have managed to get this exactly 180 degrees wrong. SP has a policy to fix as they make an effort to be able to use NEW internal designs in their old regulators.

You are also implying that SP is old/inferior tech. In terms of ease of breathing and flow rate, an SP reg would bury any reg of comparable cost and vintage. SP's "old" designs are some of the most prolific, copied and imitated in the dive industry. That does not support the implication you are making.

iain/hsm:
Come off it AQUALUNG twin hose!!!! these parts are over a quarter of a century old now, time to move on and let them take pride and place in diving history collections. :wink:
You ever used a double hose reg? They do offer some unique advantages. The US Navy uses the Mentor as a means to familiarize diver with twin hose configuration prior to training themon rebreathers. Photographers still love having the bubbles behind them, particularly for macro photography.

If you have not used one, I am unclear on just how you formed your critical opinion and why I should give any weight to it.

weekender:
my father would always tell me as a child when i pointed out an injustice,"son lifes not fair, just get used to it." kinda harsh but i thank him for it. to this day i am a happier person than most because of it. by the way, yes i do own a pacer so i understand the argument. im over it and will put the reg next to my voit swimmaster.

Our willingness to accept inequity and unfairness in large part is what enables people and companies to perpetuatate it. If everyone felt that life was unfair and was ok with it, underage immigrant children would still be working in sweat shops in this country, black americans would still be riding on the back of the bus, and women would not be voting in federal elections.

I understand that you cannot go through life getting upset at every little issue, but neither should consumers be ok with getting screwed on a regular basis. The basic fact is that there is very little if any improvement or performance benfit in a current reg over a 20 year old Pacer 900 XL. The owner of the 900 XL is not being unsafe in using it and should expect to be able to get it serviced and supported by Dacor under the "lifetime" warranty for as long as the user chooses to use it and the company stays in business.

As for the Dacor warranty issue, the company still does business as Dacor even if it is owned by Mares so they should honor all Dacor warranty and service obligations. That is the cost of doing business and one of the liabilities that came with the company along with it's assets when they bought it.

What Mares is doing is cashing in on Dacor's name, reputation and material assets but is giving absolutlely nothing in return and is not being responsible for the obligations that came with those assets. Mares is trying to have it both ways at the expense of the consumer.

If Mares does not intend to honor Dacor obligations, then they need to stop benefitting from the name and close Dacor completely as an existing business. But then there would still be the issue that they acquired Dacor in the first place. They acquired not just there assets but also their obligations and liabilities. If Dacor had remained independent and just went under due to banckruptcy etc, or had Dacor never offered a lifetime warranty, it would be a different issue entirely.

Personally, I refuse to buy either Dacor or Mares products at this point as I have no desire to support a corporate structure in any way shape or form that decides to do business this way.

the purpose of a business is to make a profit for the shareholders. not to give people jobs or service the community. this is what makes a capitalistic society prosper. if benefiting a customer is profitable, and it usually is, then an attempt to do this is taken. of course, only up to the point that it effects the bottom line. it seems very cut and dry in this case. the parent company has made a decision that it will not be fiscally responsible to the shareholders to continue servicing the aquired company's equiptment. companies merge, get aquired and go out of business daily. this is healthy and helps industry and economies not stagnate.

this entire process is common and normal. it cannot responsibly be compared to civil rights, workers rights or womens suffrage. i will not attempt to address something that is so cleary off the point and meant to inflame. my earlier post was not to say accept injustice but to point out the banality of this situation. im hoping that most readers understand, thanks.

DA Aquamaster:
. But then there would still be the issue that they acquired Dacor in the first place. They acquired not just there assets but also their obligations and liabilities.

If they acquired the obligations a nd liabilities, they would have to honor them.

Why do people think the warranty includes free parts for life? Is that what the warranty says? i know these free parts programs exist - but is it part of the warranty?

My steel 72 came with free air for life in 1974. Do you think San Diego Divers Supply will still honor that if I fly out there with my tank?

DA Aquamaster:
Well you have managed to get this exactly 180 degrees wrong. You ever used a double hose reg? They do offer some unique advantages.
If you have not used one, I am unclear on just how you formed your critical opinion and why I should give any weight to it.

Oh Bugg*8r Im a PADI open water diver Iv'e done only 14 posts and already I'm getting a rollocking from the moderator no less!!! Maybe something I said?

OK I am very sorry I didnt mean to upset anyone. But after buying all this Scubapro and twin hose gear where the heck am I going to get spares from in the UK for those little rubber curly pipes!! lol :eyebrow:

iain/hsm:
Oh Bugg*8r Im a PADI open water diver Iv'e done only 14 posts and already I'm getting a rollocking from the moderator no less!!! Maybe something I said?

OK I am very sorry I didnt mean to upset anyone. But after buying all this Scubapro and twin hose gear where the heck am I going to get spares from in the UK for those little rubber curly pipes!! lol :eyebrow:
Get your parts here .

When my beloved T2100B exhausted the parts supply, I picked up a B2. That's life.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom