EAN 32/36 and DSAT dive slates ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubbleshark

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi there,

My wife (recently qualified Padi OW, 1 year after being diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis ) is just about to start her EAN course in a few weeks, and we have just found out that Padi no longer supply slates for the course. If you require new slates, you have to pay extra.......bit of a cheek !!

Since she is hyper cautious about her diving ( due to the MS ), she wanted a set of slates as a back up to her computer ( Suunto D4 ). She even completed exams on the old tables even though Padi no longer teach it.

Wondered if any of the friendly dive community out there have a spare set of Metric EAN slates that they no longer need. Will happily pay for postage / shipping.

Thanks in anticipation,

Pete & Nickie

:blinking:

EAD (Equivalent Air Depth). Dive with air tables.

Thanks,

We have EAD calculators on our ipod, but she carries her slates with her underwater, hence wanting EAN slates.

Not too sure if the ipod has an underwater housing just yet ????

She was after slates so that if her comp quits at depth, she can play safe by reverting back to tables, rather than only relying on one source of info, and / or cutting short her dive.

Why would you want to do your planning underwater? Plan, then dive. That way you don't require and housing for your iPod :wink:

From a conversation I had with our PADI office (N.America)....
The slates...32/36/O2..can no longer be order in separately....not even a set..

In order to get a set of ean dive slates replaced...you have order in the crew pack..

Order a Trident brand U.S. Navy dive table, or carry you favorite PADI Dive Planner. The worst that could happen if you switch from a dead dive computer to an air based table is that you might exceed the No Decompression Limt by a couple of minutes. The U.S. Navy dive tables from Trident have the basic decompression on air table on the back so you can figure out what your stop depth and time are. I use it after every dive as a drill to keep my table skills fresh, and to see where I would be without the computer.

If you are on Nitrox and your computer craps out when in Nitrox mode, the PADI EAN tables most likely will not have long enough bottom time to work a solution, unless you are just starting your dive. If you are colser to the end of the dive you might be off the end of the table and well into the Decompression on Air table. Either way you should abort the dive, surface and then figure out where you are at in the world of dive table and repetitive dive groups.

A lot of the other posted are refering to the air table because when you are on Nitrox your Nitrogen loading is theoretically reduced which adds a safer margin to the air only dive table limits.

Its not a case of planning underwater, its about being safe and diving within safe limits. Yes she could just revert back to air tables and have a big safety margin, but what about consecutive dives after that on the same day.

Why should anyone have to order a crew pack on top of the EAN course, that would mean 2 x books etc.

Can't work out how you would take a long time to look at a set of tables, time, and your depth, and then be able to calculate time remaining. She dives with her air tables in her pocket already, and she uses them regularly, despite not having to do tables on her Padi OW course.

There must be a friendly diver out there who no longer needs their metric EAN slates ??

Most computers have a Plan mode on them, just make it a habit to check that for your planned depth, write down/memorize that number, and if your computer dies you can just go up at that time.

Also, if you are being good enough buddies, it probably won't hurt for her to go off your computer (you are both breathing the same mix, right??), just add a minute or two at the shallow stop for some extra CYA.

BTW, it's not very hard to plan a good dive. I've done several deeper recreational dives with nothing more than a stopwatch and an SPG. Plan the dive, dive the plan. Especially on EANx32 and a single tank, unless you're RMV is in the marine mammal category, you will more than likely be at your ascent pressure before you hit your No Deco time.

Peace,
Greg

Back
Top Bottom