EAN Certification: PADI, SSI or SDI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

willy_b

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Any recommendations / thoughts / experiences on the different Nitrox certifications available: PADI EAN, SDI Computer Nitrox, SSI Nitrox Diver?
I plan to get my certification and tend to go with SDI which seems most straight forward, simple and least expensive: all for 119 USD, while PADI will charge more than double with online and practical sessions. I know that $$$ is only one consideration, but with nitrox dive computer, necessary dive experience, and dive responsibility, why not save a few bucks and invest in more practical diving instead of stuffy classroom (80 USD more for PADI vs. SDI online)

plan to do SDI online with practical certification part in Southern California.

while PADI will charge more than double with online and practical sessions.

I just did the PADI. It depends on where you go how they do it. "Practical" might involve some in-water stuff, or it may not. It's optional. Mine didn't, it was all classroom, with a little "practical" covering O2 analysis and filling out the log. They skipped the in-water part since swimming with Nitrox is the same as swimming with an air tank.

You're right about the pricing, though. It was higher than some of the others I've seen advertised.

I just did the PADI. It depends on where you go how they do it. "Practical" might involve some in-water stuff, or it may not. It's optional. Mine didn't, it was all classroom, with a little "practical" covering O2 analysis and filling out the log. They skipped the in-water part since swimming with Nitrox is the same as swimming with an air tank.

You're right about the pricing, though. It was higher than some of the others I've seen advertised.

PADI requirements have changed, you have to do two EAN dives now.

I reccomend the ANDI (Assoc. of Nitrox Divers Intl.) program. It is much more comprehinsive than the other agencies you listed. Otherwise it doesn't matter, they should all cover the same basic information.

PADI requirements have changed, you have to do two EAN dives now.

Wow - and they must have made the change very recently - I did the class last week. :eyebrow:

Statement by a PADI Master Instructor designated as Crowley on ScubaBoard:

"The course was changed this year.

You basically have to understand the risks of diving with Enriched Air, be able to analyse it, and be able to set your computer. What you need to know for standards is almost entirely covered by the single knowledge review. You must then make two dives under the supervision of an instructor, or plan two dives if nitrox (or diving, for that matter) is not available in your area. Tables are not required, nor is the mathematics.

From a practical standpoint, all that most divers need to know is "stick this here, read this number, put it in your computer, try not to die"... and I think the nitrox course has almost come to that level.

As a PADI instructor I am somewhat ashamed to teach it. Working in the real world of diving, then yeah, all that most divers need to know is how to analyse and what is their maximum operating depth, which is fine but...

That's it.

C."

In the following thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/q-...riched-air-cert-little-fishy.html#post5547723

Sounds like CriticalMass got a class from someone using old books and standards.

"PADI requirements have changed, you have to do two EAN dives now. "

This is NOT correct. The dives are not required - but advised.

Statement by a PADI Master Instructor designated as Crowley on ScubaBoard:

"You must then make two dives under the supervision of an instructor, or plan two dives if nitrox (or diving, for that matter) is not available in your area. Tables are not required, nor is the mathematics.

Sounds like CriticalMass got a class from someone using old books and standards.

Based on what, exactly? The bold above is what was done in the class I took.

With due respect, you're making no sense here. You cite the above to support your contention, and it confirms what I posted earlier.

Back
Top Bottom